Danny Western turns on style to win Gorleston Club Championship
- Credit: Archant
The sun shone last week as Gorleston Golf Club’s Men’s Section held the Sir John Drughorn Trophy Club Championship.
This is a 36 hole medal competition and this year 45 competitors took part.
With Danny Western recorded a superb 67, 71 (138 gross) to win from Chris Duffy (145 gross) in second from Danny Perring and John Maddock, both 147 gross.
Many congratulations are due to Western who cut his handicap to plus one with his success.
In the handicap section junior club captain Jack Butcher continued his winning ways by scoring two great rounds of 68 nett (136), beating Matthew Alp into second on 138 nett for his two rounds.
On Monday it was time for the juniors to play for The Ralph Moffitt Bowl and Pat West Cup for Girls.
This year the Pat West Cup was won by Eve Neild of Royal Norwich with an outstanding 75 gross, 61 nett.
- 1 Adder warning in coastal areas as snakes come out to bask
- 2 New tenant bid for former Argos store on retail park
- 3 Dream comes true for 21-year-old Belton businessowner
- 4 Town's new £4.7m market called out for 'horrible' floor
- 5 Two teens remain under investigation after town park stabbing
- 6 Warning to pet owners after chocolate dumped in seaside village
- 7 'This is really big for us' - All the fun from Caister lifeboat day
- 8 Water company 'very sorry' as people fill sandbags in flooded street
- 9 Death remains 'unexplained' after body part washed up on beach
- 10 Woman who broke both legs in multiple places after fainting thanks NHS
The Ralph Moffitt Bowl was won on countback by Conal Downing (75 gross) from Eve Neild. Jack Butcher was second in the scratch section with 78 gross and Charlie Peacock also carded an excellent 64 nett to come second in the handicap section.
On Wednesday, again in bright sunshine and unusually very little breeze, the Ladies’ Section held their annual Invitation Day.
The winners this year with a super 46 points were Maureen Dark and her guest Rosie Owen, Halesworth Golf Club ladies’ captain. Gail Chapman and her guest Hannah Reece (Rookery Park Golf Club) were second.
This week’s Thursday Stableford was won in Division One by Howard Thornton with 42 points from Mike Haylett 41 points in second. In Division Two first was Fred Simeons with 40 points on countback from Graham Dunhill in second.
The annual Barnard Charity Day at Bawburgh Golf Club raised an impressive total of £7,000.
The sum has been split between SERV Norfolk Blood Bikes and East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices’ nook appeal.
The year’s winning team from the 28 that took part were the Eastern Cash Registers foursome of Vernon Keeley, Vinnie Keeley, Wayne Keeley and Phil Austin. BAGS on tour were second and Golf the Peddars Way third. The annual charity day has been running at the course for over 25 years and has raised £185,000.