Davis on target as Bloaters come away with a point
- Credit: Archant
After a difficult week for everyone connected with Great Yarmouth Town, following the sudden death of treasurer Brian Smith, the Bloaters travelled to Suffolk to face an in-form Walsham-le-Willows.
The hosts graciously arranged a minute’s silence before the game for three local footballing stalwarts that had passed away during the week, including Brian, while the Bloaters wore black armbands as a mark of respect.
The match was never going to be a classic on a dry bumpy surface, with neither side able to retain the ball for long enough to mount sustained attacks on goal.
After an end-to-end start to the game the Bloaters gained a foothold and began to exert pressure on the home goal.
In the 33rd minute a cross from Mitch Forbes found Sean Perfect unmarked and although his shot was blocked the ball fell to Hadyn Davis who calmly sidefooted the ball home to give the Bloaters a deserved lead.
You may also want to watch:
Just before half-time there was a chance for each side as first Clarke blasted over the bar after good work by Gibbs and then Davis fired over after good play by Andersen and Perfect. Forbes then hobbled off with a recurrence of the ankle injury sustained earlier in the year which will probably end his season and he was replaced by Nydazyo on the stroke of half-time.
After the break the game was evenly balanced, with the Bloaters having their chances, but the home side got back on level lerms on 68 minutes when a well-flighted cross found the reliable forehead of Andrew Wood and the prolific striker headed past Putnins.
- 1 Furious villagers claim chicken farm was approved 'under the radar'
- 2 Funding worth £98m secured for Yarmouth's Third River Crossing
- 3 'Magna Carta is no defence' - Man caught fishing illegally on Broads
- 4 Bid for 33 homes approved as councillors rebel against recommendation
- 5 Woman's third bid to have guesthouse converted into HMO rejected
- 6 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 7 'We will have to work at it' - mixed reaction as Great Yarmouth in tier 2
- 8 Hospital death toll from Covid-19 passes 150
- 9 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
- 10 'I think it's pretty fair' - Great Yarmouth people react to Tier 2 announcement
After the disappointment of conceding the visitors were, not for the first time, denied a penalty claim as Perfect was sent tumbling. Tensions starting to rise as the Bloaters felt that many key decisions were going against them, with two players from each side getting their names taken.
Great Yarmouth: Putnins, Howell, Andersen, Bartram, Ager, Doddington, Perfect, Applegate, Forbes, Holmes, Davis. Subs: Savage, Nydazyo, McAra, Hunter, Catchpole.
Travis Manning’s reserve side took another leap towards promotion, defeating rivals Attleborough Reserves 3-1 at the Wellesley. Goals from David Di Grandao, Jamie George and Karl Barnard sealed a another three points in a scrappy game on a difficult surface.