Decisive weekend for cricket teams

ACLE entertained Diss at Bridewell Lane in the last game of their Norfolk Alliance Premier Division season, knowing that eight points would secure them runners-up spot for the first time in the club's history - and secured a 25-points win.

ACLE entertained Diss at Bridewell Lane in the last game of their Norfolk Alliance Premier Division season, knowing that eight points would secure them runners-up spot for the first time in the club's history - and secured a 25-points win.

A triple celebration then started at the club, as Acle A captained by Michael Handley had secured runners-up spot in Alliance Division Four, and the B team captained by Ben Youngs won the Norfolk League Division Eight by a country mile.

This is a fantastic achievement for Acle, with the club continuing to improve on and off the field year on year.

Credit has to go to everyone behind the scenes, and the loyal Acle supporters.

After winning the toss Acle's captain had no hesitation in deciding to bat and play positively.

This decision looked to be the wrong one, as the Diss bowlers made use of the slightly damp, green wicket and the Acle openers Rob Porter and Adam Munford did well to graft an early start. With the score on 48, Munford departed and Acle's overseas star Haydn Murray joined Porter. Murray and Porter (54) put on 55. Another valuable stand followed, Dave Huggins putting on another 50 with Murray (56.)

Most Read

Again Acle produced a 50-plus partnership, between Geoff Handley and Huggins (27.) Handley dispatched the ball to all parts of the ground, and Acle finished on 245-4.

Acle had already secured five batting points, and knew they just had to be patient to secure the remaining three required for runners-up spot. Grady, Tom Nudd, Newman and Murray claimed wickets and a sequence of six Diss batsmen scored 27 runs between them, Shaun Roberts taking 3-31.

Paul Barnard MoM: Geoff Handley, finished the season off in style!

HALVERGATE took the Alliance Division Five title in style with a comfortable win over Beccles A.

Halvergate bowled first and soon had the visitors under pressure with Tom Booth and Tim Crane keeping things tight. A little luck led to the first wicket after Cooke spilled a catch only to recover and run out the surprised batsman.

Booth stuck in the 13th over to bowl the other opener with the score on 33. However, this was the last success the Hares would see for some time as R Ruddock and P Thorpe set about compiling a significant partnership. They reached the 100 mark in the 33rd over and then looked to up the pace.

Halvergate put in an uncharacteristic fielding performance dropping a few chances and with some sloppy ground fielding. With three overs remaining Thorpe eventually fell caught behind for 77 whilst Ruddock batted on to the end to score 75 not out and take the final total to 203.

With only one point obtained so far Halvergate had to score at least 125 to secure the title. They started steadily but lost Cooke, caught at cover. Luke Hannant and Steven Clarke took the score to 70 before Clarke was also caught for 39. Hannant and Simon Brister saw the Hares past their initial target of 125 and with the pressure off set about the victory target. They finished with three overs and eight wickets still in hand. Hannant finished with 68 not out and Brister confirmed his place as top batsman with 77 not out.

In a superb season the Hares won 15 of their 18 games, suffering only one defeat and two draws.

Eden Resourcing men of the match: Simon Brister and Luke Hannant for their match-winning unbroken partnership of 134

HALVERGATE A finished the season with a win against Colney on Saturday but were denied the final promotion place with other results going against the Hares.

On an uneven pitch which showed the scars of heavy use, the home side won the toss and elected to field. Halvergate openers Steve Utting and Tom Knapp eventually found their rhythm. Both hit boundaries to push the score past 30 before Knapp was out lbw in the seventh over.

Stuart Willimot helped take the score past 50 in the 12th over. Utting fell after an aggressive 37. Stuart Hannant looked uncomfortable as the pitch became unpredictable and was soon bowled. Chris Mills played some elegant shots in a brief cameo and Ben Key failed to match his early-season form.

At the other end, Willimot played with style to pass 50 and set the Hares on the way to a competitive total before falling for 69. Paul Ryan added some vital late runs with the visitors closing on 174 for eight.

Glyn Debbage and David Jones opened the bowling for Halvergate. Jones got the important breakthrough in the 12th over, with Utting taking a fine catch. The total moved past 50 when Paul Ryan dismissed Dainty and Grassby off consecutive balls.

Ryan and Graham Harrop claimed a wicket apiece to leave Colney at 102 for five in the 35th over. With four overs remaining, Colney needed 25 runs to snatch victory. David Jones and Willimot took a wicket each to give the visitors hope. Jones bowled Woodward in the penultimate over to leave the home side needing 10 runs from the final over with two wickets remaining.

An edge off the first ball of Willimot's over went to the boundary before Barker was trapped in front of his stumps.

The final pairing tried to snatch some late runs, but sharp fielding off the penultimate delivery saw Carding run out to give the Hares a five-run victory.

Halvergate A had done all they could to give themselves a chance of promotion, but news soon arrived that Aldborough A had won a low-scoring contest against Hingham to seal second place behind champions Watton. The Hares can be pleased with their efforts for the season, exceeding expectations in a very competitive league.

ROLLESBY, depleted, enter-tained Shipdham in their final match of the league season and having won the toss, elected to bat.

L Roffey and M Duxbury got the innings off to a steady start, taking the score to 24 before Roffey was dismissed for nine. Chaney scored a brisk 18 before becoming the second man out and he was quickly followed by Browning (4) to leave the home side 79 for three.

Young M Ryles provided solid support to his skipper, Duxbury, and they put on 69 before Ryles was dismissed for a promising 16. D Cook (19) helped put on a quick 38 runs.

Duxbury continued to play with control and completed his second century of the season and ensured the home team reached 200, scoring 110 not out. Rollesby finished on 209 for six.

The Shipdham response began poorly, with J Flett dismissing Riches with 13 on the board. Skipper Stegles and Ellis who frustrated Rollesby in the initial match seemed set for another good partnership before Duxbury dismissed Ellis for 21 with the score 51 for two.

Cator provided Stegles with solid support. Skipper Duxbury shuffled his bowlers until J Flett dismissed Cator for a dogged 57, but with the score on 204, it was too little too late. It was fitting that Stegles scored the winning run with only five balls to spare to leave Rollesby rueing what might have been.

Too many close games have been lost this year - something that will need to be rectified next year.

Filby Kings Head MoM: M Duxbury (116 no and 1-43).

GREAT Yarmouth closed their campaign with a hard fought defeat at home against Ketteringham Hall.

Asked to bat first on a typically dry Beaconsfield wicket the Yarmouth openers found runs elusive at first. The first four overs were maidens and the score was only two after the first six. Things were soon worse however when Vincent (1-27) clipped Nicholls (7) leg stump and Yarmouth were 10-1 after nine overs.

Kapila (14) provided a quick injection of runs, hitting Bush out of the attack only to be swiftly dismissed by his replacement Perera (1-17).

Fitzsimmons and Sole gave the innings stability as they added 56 before Fitzsimmons (19) was caught behind. A further quick wicket saw Yarmouth wobble slightly at 93-4 before Hak and Sole steadied things once again.

Hak , in another cameo of what Yarmouth has missed this season, made an entertaining 15 including a six which was caught inside the boundary but hit hard enough to knock the fielder over the boundary. Two balls later Sole (67) also departed having top-edged an easy catch to the Ketteringham keeper.

At 127-6 a reasonable total seemed a distance away however Vickers (27), given good support by Doggett (5), saw Yarmouth through to the next batting point before both fell in the final over striving for valuable extra runs. Yarmouth closed on a competitive 160-8.

Yarmouth took to the field with James Doggett taking the gloves for the first team for the first time. He was quickly in the game taking two catches as Thompson and Vickers found edges to dismiss both openers and reduce the visitors to 18-2.

Perera and Howes rattled the score on with Perera launching Oxborough for a huge six over the longest boundary. The Yarmouth bowler had the last laugh the following over as he bowled Perera for 26.

Howes and Batch added 24 more before Anguish, with his first ball of the match, removed Howes as the Ketteringham captain picked out Vickers at mid-off. Oxborough accounted for Batch without a further run being added and when the Anguish/Vickers combination struck again Ketteringham Hall were in a little trouble at 99-6.

Anguish struck again to remove Vincent and then Bush for a duck. Ketteringham Hall needed 51 to win and Yarmouth felt they needed just one wicket to expose the visitors' No 11.

But despite some half-chances, they couldn't find a way through. Hall reached their target without further loss in the 40th over.

Burton Arms MoM: Matthew Sole (67).

GREAT YARMOUTH A finished the season with a trip to local rivals Winterton A.

Yarmouth skipper Combstock, playing his last game for the club, was surprised to be invited to bat first on what looked to be a good wicket.

Only seven runs were on the board when Hall was caught behind off Hambrook (1-16) for one. Ruddick, playing his first game for weeks after a knee injury, joined Harvey but runs were difficult to come by. They took the score to 49 in the 23rd over when Harvey was caught behind for 18 off Stanhope-Smith (1-26).

Yarmouth looked to up the tempo against the change bowlers. Hodds and Ruddick moved the scoreto 65 when Ruddick was run out for 34 in the 27th over. Hodds and Thompson kept the score ticking over before Hodds was stumped off the bowling of Drake (1-46) for 12. With the score 96 for four in the 37th over, Carrier gave the innings the impetus it needed to post a challenging score.

Thompson was run out for 13 with the score on 101 for five. Fifty runs came in the next five overs as Smith and Carrier went after the bowling. Carrier became the third run out victim for 37 and Evans became No 4, run out for six in the final over.

Smith was caught off the last ball of the innings for 17 as Yarmouth finished on 168 for eight.

Winterton lost Spelman for nought with the score on two, Tooley for nought with the score on four and Playford for a duck at 12, all to the bowling of Harvey (3-27). Southey then trapped Drake lbw for eight to leave the home side reeling on 18 for four in the13th over.

Drewitt and Lawes looked to be going well when Drewitt was caught by Ruddick off Smith for 51 with the score 99 for five.

This became 99 for six as Lawes played one on to his stumps off Hall (1-25) for 27. Powles added one before he was caught by Ruddick again off Smith with the score 102 for seven.

Yarmouth had wrestled back the initiative. Hambrook Smashed a rapid 18 before he fell victim to the Ruddick Smith partnership and Lockhart became Smith's fourth victim when he was caught and bowled for 16 with the score 136 for nine.

The returning Noakes claimed the final wicket, leaving Winterton all out for 137, giving Yarmouth victory by 31 runs.

Skipper Paul Combstock thanked all players who turned out for the A team this season for their efforts, and all those players who have played throughout his 10 years as captain of GYCC 2nd 11, and wishes the club every success in the future.

Burton Arms man of the match: Simon Ruddick, set the innings up with his 34, and three excellent catches.

WINTERTON A, after being put into bat Yarmouth A struggled against the accurate bowling of M Hambrook and J Stanhope.

It was only after 30 overs that they began to increase the run rate taking risky singles and punishing the bad ball.

Yarmouth's total of 168 looked reasonable with the short boundaries but Winterton collapsed, losing four early wickets.

Enter K Drewitt (51) who showed confidence and ability playing elegant drives around the ground.

With the game looking to be swinging Winterton's way another collapse ruined their chances of a good finish to the season.

The boys are pleased with their efforts this year overall considering a constantly changing side and a shortage of players. Well done to all!

Winterton will be entering an U15 team in a league next year. If you are interested in playing competitive junior cricket against good players contact any Winterton member.

BELTON entertained Cringleford Lodge on Saturday hopeful of redressing the balance after losing to the same side only a few weeks ago, and by not many runs.

With three of his players missing, late, Tom Knight decided to bowl first. Cameron Nichols broke through and had Gregory bowled for nine and Matthews caught by Liam Peake for only 17. After that, success was a long time coming.

Vishal did eventually get White caught by Chris Cropley for 46, but a fine 91 not out from N Patel, ably supported by N Bird (21 not out), saw the visitors through to 208 for four from 45 overs.

Cameron Nichols was the most successful of the eight home bowlers on view with two for 47 from his 12 overs.

In reply Alec Toll skied one and was caught for two with only 15 on the board. Steve Day and Saj Ali led the fightback with a fine partnership of 55 before Day was run out for 32.

Cropley and Vishal perished relatively cheaply and Belton were staring defeat squarely the face before Mark Hodds (42), Tom Knight (12) and Cameron Nichols (28) dragged them back into the match.

Wickets, however, would prove crucial and at the ninth, then tenth, Jack arrived at the crease, when 25 runs were still required. With plenty of overs in hand it just needed some sensible batting to see the Commoners home.

But this was in short supply as Khan, Peake and Warner could manage only a few runs and Cringleford ran out winners by 20 runs.

BELTON made the long trip to Great Ellingham on Sunday keen to provide the win which would ensure their survival in the Mid-Norfolk Sunday League Division Two.

Belton skipper Phil White had no hesitation in asking the hosts to field first. He was soon disappointed as Russell Bird was victim to one that didn't bounce and fell caught and bowled to C Drew for only 12.

White went on to make 15 before he was caught. The two Richards, Goreham and Ashling rebuilt the innings, Goreham making 51 and Ashling contributing 60.

A fine 46 from Cameron Nichols and support from Adam Savoury (16) allowed Belton to reach their highest Sunday league score of all time - 234 for seven from their 40 overs.

White unleashed Saj Ali and Liam Peake on the unsuspecting Ellingham openers and was soon rewarded when Peake bowled D Allum for only six.

His opening partner C Drew anchored the innings and made 52, but it all took too long and the home side were soon behind the asking rate. Only the top four put up any resistance Wally Ladmore and then George Savoury tucked in to the lower order with some leg-spin from Ladmore and some accurate seam bowling from Savoury.

Savoury took three for 17 and was on a hat-trick twice as the Ellingham's lower order were just not up to the task and 121 was all that could be mustered.

Belton preserved their Division Two status by running out winners by 113 runs.

Blundeston secured the Norfolk League Division Seven title

They chose to bat on a firm Southtown track with a quick outfield. Sam Goffin (73) and Nick Mobbs (81) put together a club record third wicket partnership of 172 and in doing so Mobbs passed the 500 runs for the season mark for the first time in his fledgling career.

Goffin played an extremely sensible and well timed innings and secured his first half-century for the first team. An impressive total of 241 was set for Hethersett to chase.

Tom Miller and Elliott Gooch claimed early scalps. First change bowlers Martin Talbot and Dominic Gooch strangled the middle of the innings, snapping up a wicket apiece and only giving away 10 runs in the next 10 overs.

Young Joel Howard (33) stood firm and looked to accelerate the innings against spin twins Saurabh and James Shreeve but he eventually fell to another catch from the skipper with Lewis assisting Shreeve for his wicket and Saurabh also picking up an lbw decision. It was left to Martin to take the last two wickets.

A great win by the Blundeston team, knowing that the Division Seven title was secured was only tempered by the fact that they miss playing Hethersett with whom they have had some good games and made friends over the last few seasons.

BLUNDESTON travelled to Bungay to play Beccles and found a patchy pitch where winning the toss was crucial.

Skipper Talbot and Sam Goffin quickly fell and Blundeston were in all sorts of difficulties coping with what turned out to be the worst of the pitch. Blundeston batsman of the year, Nick Mobbs (24), and Martin Talbot (8) briefly threatened to turn things around and Lewis Chapman (1) also followed them back to the sidelines. Saurabh Verma (37) and Elliott Gooch (17) began to turn things around and when Mark Bowns (45) joined Saurabh they set about the Beccles bowling and moved the score forward at a pace.

Scott Brindle (16) looked very elegant for a No 9 and Dominic Gooch (19) and Tom Miller (4) tried gamely to get the final score up to 200 but fell one run short when Dominic sportingly walked, only a ball before the end.

Elliott and Lewis had Beccles struggling on 16-2. The pick of the batsman was young wicket keeper Wright who was called back after being adjudged caught behind off Elliott. He went on to score 61 to round off a fine individual match. Martin picked up the wicket of Andrews for 37. Tom also picked up a wicket and as the light started to fade spin was the order of the day from both ends.

Scott bowled 10 very good overs and Saurabh picked up a wicket before the light got so bad the skippers decided that the game should conclude early.

This was a slightly disappointing end to the season but the game was a dead rubber in any event with Blundeston already champions and Beccles safely in mid table.

The now customary end of season barbecue was held at the Mobbs residence. Thanks to Tim 'the chef', Helen, Nick and Jonny.

Well done to all first team members for another solid season and a second title on the trot.

HEMSBY'S task in order to win Division Six was to obtain one more point than Sprowston C.

Winning the toss would be crucial but to Hemsby's dismay Hudson lost it. After 70 minutes the Hardingham score stood at 118-7 with Rod Taylor having taken three wickets. Runs were then fed to the away team to get them up to 160. But Fowle had dug in and took the score up to 195 before being bowled by Hudson. So Hemsby needed to score 200 and hope Sprowston C failed to obtain maximum points at Happisburgh.

However disaster struck, Colclough being run out, and Tilbrook soon fell caught behind as did Whatmough with the score standing at 27-3.

Maxwell and Shepherd took the score to 89 when Shepherd was bowled heaving Sparkes. When Holmes and then Maxwell fell for a well played 59 Hemsby were 55 short with six wickets left.

But Hudson and Boylan put on 42 of these in six overs, before Hudson perished with 13 needed. Boylan took a single off the last ball of the 39th over to take Hemsbys score to 194, then he somehow managed to hit the first ball of the 40 over for six to take Hemsby's score to exactly 200 and maximum points.

Later in the social club the news came through that Sprowston had obtained only 23 points and therefore Hemsby had achieved a second promotion, but as winners.

This was well deserved and was a team effort from everyone who played in the season.

Man of the match: Alan Maxwell. Congratulations to Liam Boylan for 48 wickets in his first season at Hemsby.

Club bingo at Potter Heigham Village Hall on September 12, prizes to the captains or chairman please. Please attend if possible as the club needs a good night.

ROLLESBY completed their Norfolk League Division Six programme with a visit to Brisley

Brisley surprisingly elected to bat and after a slow start increased the scoring rate as the Rollesby bowlers failed to bowl a good line and length. J Clarke punished anything loose and scored a quickfire 80. With his departure the scoring rate continued at around six per over as catches were dropped and run-outs missed. The ninth wicket pair of A Rawlings (23 not out) and A Greef (34 not out) plundered an unbeaten 59 off the final 10 overs to take Brisley to 240 for eight, including 40 extras.

When Rollesby batted the wicket showed its true colour. The Brisley bowlers bowled line and length and extracted movement and bounce that restricted the possibility of quick scoring. A Greef (4-25) and S Kay (5-33) took the wickets whilst M Greef conceded only 12 runs from his 12-over allocation to ensure that Rollesby did not have any chance of reaching their target.

The highlights of the Rollesby batting were Jimmy Catchpole's 27 and a defiant 32 not out by Alan Fakes to ensure that Brisley did not collect maximum bowling points. Five Rollesby batsmen collected ducks.

Michael Green, a new recruit to the Rollesby ranks, produced a promising debut with nine over of quick seam bowling and an aggressive 15 at the top of the order bodes well for next year.

The year has seen significant improvements for the young players, particularly George Barnden, Max Ryles and Brady England. With other youngsters in the wings plus some potential new faces the future is looking bright.

SOUTH WALSHAM went on a long trip to the west of the county to play Castle Rising in a friendly.

After being put into bat on a good wicket, fast outfield openers Dave Watkins and Andy Scales got off to a cracking start adding 91 in the first 18 overs. Scales was then caught behind for 32, while Watkins carried on past his 50. At 55 he also fell caught behind.

Richard Whiteside and Keith Denton then added 36 for the third wicket, but it was Keith Denton who took control attacking the Castle Rising bowlers. Paul Woods chipped in with a quick 29 and father Chris with 22 but when Denton was bowled on the final ball for 68 Walsham were satisfied with a score of 244 for seven and the tea interval.

After tea the Walsham bowlers quickly made inroads into the Castle Rising batting with Chris Gould picking up two wickets and Chris Woods one. At 32 for three the hosts were in trouble.

Skipper Bouri held the innings together for a splendid 65 while the other batsmen tried to hit boundaries. Rust 20, Singh 41 and Poll 24 not out, gave the challenge of winning the game a good go, although Walsham were generally in control.

Whiteside took a stunning one-handed catch to dismiss Singh, but with one or two lapses in the field Walsham could press home for victory. Stuart Mallett three for 45, Greg Loades two for 47 and Chris Gould two for 63 bowled well on a good track, but the game ended in a draw with Castle Rising finishing on 226 for eight.

Upton White Horse man of the match was Keith Denton for his quality 68.