Deeks scores all four goals as Gorleston seal a narrow win
- Credit: Archant
Four goals from Connor Deeks gave the Greens all three points in Saturday’s topsy turvy Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division clash at Emerald Park.
Ricci Butler made three changes to the starting line-up. There was no Connor Ingram or Ismael Fatadjo in the squad and Jordan Stanton dropped to the bench, while in came Sam Wooldridge, Joel Watts and Elliott Hannant.
Gorleston had the best of the first quarter and it was against the run of play when Borough took the lead. With Taurean Molloy off his line, Casey Phillips floated the ball over him into the net.
The Greens equalised within four minutes after a nice move ended with Deeks converting for his first of the match.
Gorleston then took the lead almost immediately.
Two good point blank saves from Borough keeper Anthony Choat kept the Greens out but he couldn’t prevent Deeks’ follow up header from finding the net.
However the lead lasted barely two minutes as Haverhill went up the other end and equalised through Ryan Weaver.
- 1 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 2 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 3 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 4 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 5 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 6 Man to be sentenced next month over Norfolk pub attack
- 7 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 8 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 9 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
- 10 TV show filmed in Norfolk starring Ainsley Harriott to air this month
Again it was only a couple of minutes before the next goal with Deeks completing his hat-trick two minutes before the break to give his side a 3-2 half-time lead.
Inside the first 10 minutes of the second half the visitors were level again when Weaver got his second of the game.
But it was Gorleston, and Deeks, who had the final say with a goal midway through the half. Deeks has now found the net nine times in his 10 Gorleston appearances.
Match sponsors Tecflo nor surprisingly gave the Batemans man-of-the-match to Gorleston’s four-goal hero.
The victory was Gorleston’s fifth in seven league matches and left them well placed in the table. going into the midweek game at Ipswich Wanderers.
Gorleston: Taurean Molloy, Charlie Hitch, Sam Wooldridge, Joel Watts, Isaac Burrage, Daniel Foreman, Kyle Ingram, Luke Goreham, Jack Garrod, Connor Deeks (c), Elliott Hannant; Used Subs Jason Thomspon, Alex Kounnas, Jack Cottingham.
Haverhill Borough: Anthony Choat, Tommy Hardwick, Lee Hurkett, Sam Hawley, Robbie Alderman, Casey Phillips, Ryan Phillips, Ross Elkins, Ryan Weaver, Jarid Robson (c), Craig Pruden; Subs Rory Bone, Ashley Botten, Charlie Holmes, Ryan Swallow, Luke Youngs.