Depleted Greens sunk by Fenmen
Wisbech T 3 Gorleston 1
Gorleston’s short unbeaten run came to an end at the Elgoods Fenland Stadium on Tuesday night.
Forced to make one of their longest journeys on a Tuesday night, following the late call-off of the original fixture, the Greens were also forced to shuffle their squad.
Jack Whatmough replaced Elliot Pride in goal whilst Eddie Thompson returned in place of Olly Thompson who dropped to the bench. Adam Mills came into midfield and Jack Garrod replaced Gary Williams, who was on the bench.
Two goals in as many minutes put the Greens on the back foot as first Chris Bacon in the 16th minute then Nick Davey gave the Fenmen a cushion, writes DAVID HARDY.
Gorleston struggled to get out of their own half and had just one shot on target during the first period.
Gary Williams came on at half time to give Gorleston more of an attacking look as they tried to reduce the deficit, which they did after 70 minutes through a close range Jack Garrod header.
- 1 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 2 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 3 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 4 Vets expanding to garage site amid surge in new animal owners
- 5 Your chance to run a takeaway pitch on Gorleston seafront
- 6 Great Yarmouth Pride march postponed amid council criticism
- 7 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 8 5 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in Great Yarmouth
- 9 Man stopped by police while driving day after admitting he had no licence
- 10 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
It was a better second half performance by the Greens and they possibly deserved a point. However, the equaliser never came and a deflected third goal late on from Callum Read sealed the three points for Wisbech.
Gorleston: Jack Whatmough, Kyle Howell (Gary Williams 46), Reece Hunn, Andy Howell Adam Thurtle, Eddie Thompson, Chris Sandford, Jack Garrod, Bradley Hough, Steve Taylor, Adam Mills. Other subs Olly Thompson, Aaron Huggins-Bowers, Luke Catchpole