Determination pays for Acle
Sprowston Athletic 1, Acle United 2Acle visited one of their Anglian Combination Premier Division bogey teams and won despite a potentially devastating list of call-offs including Ritchie Fruin, Ben Morgan, Jody Harrison and Nathan Thompson.
Sprowston Athletic 1, Acle United 2
Acle visited one of their Anglian Combination Premier Division bogey teams and won despite a potentially devastating list of call-offs including Ritchie Fruin, Ben Morgan, Jody Harrison and Nathan Thompson.
Manager Tony Ward elected to play Curtis and Holdsworth up front with Ian Morgan, Warren Nichols and Dean Crosbie in midfield, giving the influential Daniel Foreman the licence to roam.
Sprowston started the stronger but United passed up several early chances as the hosts seemed content to clear their lines during a scrappy opening. Athleic seemed the hungrier with Sell having a free-kick excellently saved by Scott Foreman before the usually reliable Acle keeper had a touch of the jitters and was unable to hang onto the ball. It allowed Armes to wrestle the ball free from his grasp and put Sprowston ahead by scrambling the ball over the line.
You may also want to watch:
Whiteman saw his penalty kick brilliantly saved by Acle's Foreman and this seemed justice for the debatable decision given against Ian Morgan.
Holdsworth, having perhaps his best game for Acle since joining the club, continually caused headaches for the home defenders with his speed and ability on the ball and it was from one of his forays down Acle's left that the equaliser came with half-time approaching.
- 1 'An absolute shock' - clifftop cafe closed amid demolition fears
- 2 Firefighters rescue man trapped in crane
- 3 'Nothing worse than shut shops': Relief in Great Yarmouth as lockdown lifts
- 4 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 5 Covid-19 vaccine: who will get it, when and how?
- 6 Cash and jewellery stolen in Gorleston burglary
- 7 Ho, ho...go! Santa sleigh run going ahead with rule of six
- 8 Least used railway station in Britain is in Norfolk
- 9 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 10 'How much money has been spent?' - Street lamp lit for 12 years still not fixed
He centred to pick out Curtis who sent a square pass back into the path of Daniel Foreman who gleefully slammed home.
In the second half both sides created opportunities but after Acle had gone close with several half-chances the ball found its way to Warren Nichols who, from 20 yards, hit a fine drive past home keeper Coulton.
Acle were forced to ride their luck several times before finally killing off Sprowston in the second half with a classic show of grit and determination.
Tomorrow, Acle entertain Sheringham (1.30pm ko).
Meanwhile, Acle Reserves entertain Wortwell at 3.45pm.