Disappointing end to season as Acle are beaten in Mummery Cup Final
- Credit: Archant
Acle United let a lead slip as they lost 2-1 to Mulbarton Wanderers in the final of the Mummery Cup at the FDC on Friday evening.
With a stiff breeze blowing across the pitch, the game got off to a scrappy start and the first real opening didn’t arrive until the 25h minute.
A long ball from D Foreman was headed clear to Forder, whose first-time shot was saved by Mulbarton’s keeper Wright under his crossbar.
Then, with seven minutes remaining in the half, Acle broke the deadlock. Sanders was fouled around 22 yards from goal and D Foreman stepped up to fire the free-kick past Wright.
However, just before the break, Wanderers equalised with Doggett side-footing home a low cross from the right wing. In fact, Mulbarton could have scored a carbon copy of their goal in added time but nobody was able to get on to the cross.
You may also want to watch:
As the second half progressed Mulbarton started to dominate the midfield, allowing them to set up dangerous attacks. A cross was pushed over for a corner and then the Acle keeper palmed away a dangerous cross to the far post, before Wiley cleared the ball upfield.
With half an hour remaining, Carvalho replaced Peacock and five minutes later L Gibbons came on for Faulkes as Acle looked to force a result.
- 1 Fresh bid to knock down village pub for homes and shops
- 2 Woman's third bid to have guesthouse converted into HMO rejected
- 3 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 4 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 5 Construction of £26m Marina Centre to begin in coming weeks
- 6 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 7 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 8 'The most difficult one yet' - Knitting queen displays her latest creation
- 9 'I was genuinely worried' - Theatre director on reopening in Tier 2
- 10 Search for woman, 64, missing from residential home
Acle were starting to get back into the game and a good covering tackle denied Carvalho a shot at goal before Sanders beat his marker but fired just over.
But with 10 minutes remaining, Mulbarton took the lead when Thompson ran on to a through ball and was able to squeeze the ball past Foreman. As Acle pushed forward, Foreman was forced into a couple of good saves to prevent Mulbarton from increasing their lead.
Just into added time after a tackle, both sides were reduced to 10 men. Altay receiving a straight red and Attree getting a second yellow card for his involvement in the scuffle.
Acle: S Foreman, C Wiley (J Bulman 83 mins), D Foreman, O Stelzer-Hiller, A Faulkes (L Gibbons 66), J McCabe, S Peacock (B Carvalho 61), I Morgan, J Attree, R Forder, A Sanders.
The club’s presentation evening is being held in the Bure Room, Acle Recreation Centre on May 20 (7.30pm)p. Tickets cost £5 which includes buffet and disco.
The annual meeting will be held on June 23 (7.30pm).