Double title celebration at Acle Indoor Bowls Club
- Credit: Archant
Acle Indoor Bowls Club’s Men’s A team won the league on the last end of the final rink.
The scores were 80-80 with one end to play and a two on the final end secured five points and the title as Norfolk Bowling Club dropped points at Wymondham Dell.
Jim Fruin, Geoff Ramsbottom, Simon Elliott and George Tubby beat the rink skipped by Peter Wilkinson 23-18. They were 16-18 down at 18 ends before scoring a three and two twos for an important victory.
Tony Dunton, Danny Mills, Graham Punchard and Jamie Howlett beat the rink skipped by Brian Taylor 21-18. One up playing the last end they scored a vital two to secure their point and leave the remaining two rinks to fight for the overall score.
Mark Elliott, Ivan Borrett, Danny Ramsbottom and Jason Roope lost to the rink skipped by Robin Norman 18-23.
David Cole, Matty Sparrow, Daniel Noble and Ian Wones lost to the rink skipped by Philip Barr by 21-20. A spirited second half of the game saw Acle fight back to 18-21 at 20 ends, with the match all square across the board.
A two scored on the last end saw Acle take the overall points for a 5-2 victory which was enough to clinch the league.
- 1 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 2 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 3 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 4 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 5 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 6 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 7 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 8 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 9 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
- 10 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
This was the final game for Dan Mills, a product of the Acle youth policy.
There was more celebration at the club when, at home to relegated County Arts, the Men’s B also won to clinch their league title.
John Marshall, 14-year-old Ryan Garman, Dennis Edwards and Denis Goodley started with a five and by 10 ends were 14-5 up, but then dropped a five, a four on the 15th made it 19-12 and ran out comfortable winners 27-17.
Ian Wilson, Will Jeffries, John Harris and Wyn Willimott won 26-12 while Johnstone Mackie, Brian Kirby, Alan Benson-Nutt and Barney Wymer came back from 2-8 down to win 21-19.
Brian Grint’s rink were 5-13 down, recovered to 9-13 and then dropped a four and finished 15-21.
The 89-69 (6-1) win made the B team league champions after winning the last of nine out of 10.
The club are holding their annual meeting on Monday, April 24 (7.30pm).
The club is also holding a have a go day on Sunday, April 30 from 10am to 12 noon.
All equipment will be provided and coaches will be on hand to give advice.