Double title celebration at Acle Indoor Bowls Club
- Credit: Archant
Acle Indoor Bowls Club’s Men’s A team won the league on the last end of the final rink.
The scores were 80-80 with one end to play and a two on the final end secured five points and the title as Norfolk Bowling Club dropped points at Wymondham Dell.
Jim Fruin, Geoff Ramsbottom, Simon Elliott and George Tubby beat the rink skipped by Peter Wilkinson 23-18. They were 16-18 down at 18 ends before scoring a three and two twos for an important victory.
Tony Dunton, Danny Mills, Graham Punchard and Jamie Howlett beat the rink skipped by Brian Taylor 21-18. One up playing the last end they scored a vital two to secure their point and leave the remaining two rinks to fight for the overall score.
Mark Elliott, Ivan Borrett, Danny Ramsbottom and Jason Roope lost to the rink skipped by Robin Norman 18-23.
You may also want to watch:
David Cole, Matty Sparrow, Daniel Noble and Ian Wones lost to the rink skipped by Philip Barr by 21-20. A spirited second half of the game saw Acle fight back to 18-21 at 20 ends, with the match all square across the board.
A two scored on the last end saw Acle take the overall points for a 5-2 victory which was enough to clinch the league.
- 1 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 2 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 3 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 4 Construction of £26m Marina Centre to begin in coming weeks
- 5 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 6 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 7 Road closed for two days for resurfacing
- 8 'Give it back' - Man's plea after his moped is stolen
- 9 Warning about ‘you’re wanted for arrest’ cold call tax scam
- 10 Seven arrested and three charged with supplying cocaine after large police presence in village
This was the final game for Dan Mills, a product of the Acle youth policy.
There was more celebration at the club when, at home to relegated County Arts, the Men’s B also won to clinch their league title.
John Marshall, 14-year-old Ryan Garman, Dennis Edwards and Denis Goodley started with a five and by 10 ends were 14-5 up, but then dropped a five, a four on the 15th made it 19-12 and ran out comfortable winners 27-17.
Ian Wilson, Will Jeffries, John Harris and Wyn Willimott won 26-12 while Johnstone Mackie, Brian Kirby, Alan Benson-Nutt and Barney Wymer came back from 2-8 down to win 21-19.
Brian Grint’s rink were 5-13 down, recovered to 9-13 and then dropped a four and finished 15-21.
The 89-69 (6-1) win made the B team league champions after winning the last of nine out of 10.
The club are holding their annual meeting on Monday, April 24 (7.30pm).
The club is also holding a have a go day on Sunday, April 30 from 10am to 12 noon.
All equipment will be provided and coaches will be on hand to give advice.