Emphatic win for Caister in Senior Cup
Caister 4, Hindringham 0
Caister reached the next round of the Norfolk Senior Cup with a solid 4-0 victory at home to Hindringham in front of a large crowd at Allendale Road and continued their 100 per cent start to the season having scored 20 goals in the opening four games and only conceding one.
Caister were without Nicky Crawley and also decided to use the competition to gives starts to Barrett and Bevan who both impressed. Along with a bench of Hack, Rowley and Fitzgerald this showed the strength of the squad.
The opening goal came on 15 minutes, Anton Ward slipped a neat through ball to his brother Garrett who rounded a defender before being brought down in the penalty box and the referee pointed straight to the spot. Anton picked up the ball and sent the keeper the wrong way. to score
Dean Macgregor joined the attack from right back and grabbed his first of the season by over lapping down the flank and smashing home a low drive across the Hindringham keeper.
You may also want to watch:
Caister’s deserved lead was then threatened by some long-range efforts from the Hindringham attackers and Chris Hollis produced two flying saves to amazingly deny them.
Caister added a third on 35 minutes when Garrett Ward broke through and unselfishly squared for Tom Bevan who was starting his first game in senior football.
- 1 Vanishing village - Satellite images show incredible erosion at Winterton
- 2 9 Norfolk pubs with heated gardens for mixed households
- 3 Shocking dashcam footage shows man doing 129mph through village
- 4 Police cordon at cafe and beach ahead of demolition
- 5 Girl, 13, injured in hit-and-run outside village shop
- 6 'One of the most generous people' - Family pays tribute to town 'legend'
- 7 Parts of Norfolk may see snow by end of the week, say forecasters
- 8 'An absolute shock' - clifftop cafe closed amid demolition fears
- 9 'Nothing worse than shut shops': Relief in Great Yarmouth as lockdown lifts
- 10 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
Bevan controlled the ball before smashing it home to grab his first goal as a Caister player after his summer switch to the club from Hemsby.
A loose ball in the Caister penalty area was struck at Allen Barrett at close range.
The referee adjudged this to have hit his hand and despite Caister’s appeals a penalty was awarded. The resulting kick was superbly saved by Hollis who denied their striker with a fine stop to his right.
Garrett Ward grabbed his fifth goal in four games with a persistent finish as he battled with the keeper to win the ball and tap into the open net. This capped a fine half for Caister who walked off in a commanding position.
The second half was difficult for Caister as Hindringham made life difficult for Caister in all areas. With 15 minutes still to play Caister were dealt a severe blow for not only this game but also for approaching fixtures when Garrett Ward was given a straight red card for throwing the ball at a Hindringham player after a “coming together.”
MoM: Chris Hollis for an outstanding performance in goal including a penalty save.
Caister: Hollis, Macgregor (1), Blake, Lines, Barrett, Turner (Rowley 75), A.Ward (1) (Fitzgerald 65), Nichols, G.Ward (1), Heller, Bevan (1) (Hack 60).