Evans turns on the style for Great Yarmouth Road Runners
- Credit: Archant
On a sunny morning at the third race of the 2017 Coltishall Jaguars 10km series conditions appeared to be perfect until competitors stepped out on the airfield to find a stiff breeze.
Fourteen members of Great Yarmouth Road Runners arrived in anticipation of setting some good times on a flat course, with 307 taking part in total.
Marc Evans ran a superb race, picking up third male award and finishing fourth overall.
Matt Buckoke, James Carass, Steven Baker, Mark Mountain and Mark Stone all finished inside the top 50 with Matt, Steven and Mark surprised and delighted to win the Veteran Team award.
Making their debut for the club in 10k races were Paul Reeve and Andrew Thomas, both pleased with their efforts. Sandwiched in between was Toni George, first woman home for GYRR in a personal best.
Rob Bailey was next home, followed by Gemma Aylen, thrilled by making her GYRR debut, while Leigh Taylor took almost three minutes off his previous best 10k time.
Full results: 4th Marc Evans 37:58, 20th Matt Buckoke 41:44, 24th James Carass 42:30, 25th Steven Baker 42:36, 38th Mark Mountain 43:44, 46th Mark Stone 44:44, 60th Paul Reeve 46:19, 71st Toni George 46:43 pb, 82nd Andrew Thomas 47:49, 180th Rob Bailey 56:08, 195th Gemma Aylen 57:32k, 199th Leigh Taylor 57:23b, 205th Pandora Buck 58:17, 241st Jenna Kemp 1:03:04.
- 1 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 2 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 3 Vets expanding to garage site amid surge in new animal owners
- 4 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 5 Your chance to run a takeaway pitch on Gorleston seafront
- 6 Great Yarmouth Pride march postponed amid council criticism
- 7 5 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in Great Yarmouth
- 8 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 9 Man stopped by police while driving day after admitting he had no licence
- 10 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
Bowls: Acle Indoor BC Ladies B team hosted Gallows A in their first match back in the top division and lost 44-62 (1-7). Caroline Hines, Anita Nelson and Rose Yaxley won 17-5, Elaine Donavan’s block lost 12-13. Julia Crosby’s block lost 6-20 and Shirley Genery’s block lost 9-24.
The men’s A and B teams came face to face, with the As winning 92-62 (6-1).
Andy Flynn, Sid Siely, Bill Downie and Brian Grint recorded a deserved 21-17 win for the Bs against Matthew Sparrow, Ivan Borrett and John Chalk. Ryan Garman, Benjamin Chalk, Daniel Noble and captain Ian Wones played Ian Wilson, Dennis Edwards, Alan Benson–Nutt and Josh Baxter and were edged out 20-22.
Jim Fruin, John Sparrow, Simon Elliott and George Tubby lost 23-15 to Richard Pope, Dominic Cooke, Paul Webb and Barney Wymer and Chris and Geoff Ramsbottom, Graham Punchard and Dan Ramsbottom beat the Bs’ Brian Kirby, Will Jeffries, John Harris and Wyn Willimott 30-6.