Everard and McGregor’s last-minute paring is a Gorleston winner
Gorleston Golf Club
Fate certainly had a hand in the outcome of the revived Todd and Turner competition at Gorleston.
The winners of the fourball better ball competition; David McGregor and playing partner Mark Everard were thrown together at the last minute to replace a late call-off from a pairing originally entered.
David and Mark duly relished their opportunity for some competitive golf by returning a score of 46 points, four points clear of runners-up Justin Punt and Howard Garner.
The competition also saw veteran Bill Haykin record a hole-in-one at the par three seventh.
It took Bill a few minutes to realise what he had acheived as the result of his tee shot was somewhat obscured by the sun.
It was not until players waiting to tee off the eighth started jumping excitedly did Bill realise something special had occurred which was not, as he first thought and feared, his ball having hit one of them!
- 1 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 2 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 3 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 4 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 5 Man stopped by police while driving day after admitting he had no licence
- 6 Vets expanding to garage site amid surge in new animal owners
- 7 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 8 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 9 Pleasure Beach to hold fireworks spectacular for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Great Yarmouth Pride march postponed amid council criticism
In the Ladies Section, Tanya McGregor has won the privilege of representing the club in the Volvo EWGA Regional Medal having returned the four best nett scores in EWGA medal competitions at the club in 2011.
The regional final is one of six being held nationwide and is due to be held at the John O’Gaunt Golf Club, Sandy, Bedfordshire on April 12.
The qualifiers from each event move on to the grand final later in the year.
Everyone at the club wishes Tanya every success on the day.
In the Men’s Midweek Stableford, 40 points was the winning total in both divisions, returned by Richard Reynolds and Carl Ford respectively.
Being Mothering Sunday, as is the tradition at Gorleston Golf Club, there is no men’s competition at the weekend.
The Men’s team entertain Beccles on Saturday in the Mail on Sunday Classic third round, hoping to repeat their success of 2011 over the same club and progress further in this very popular national event.