Excellent spell for Gorleston Golf Club teams
- Credit: Archant
It was a great week for teams from Gorleston Golf Club in county competitions.
The Men’s Hambro team were in impressive form, winning their 36 hole better ball knock-out match five up against a strong team from Felixstowe.
The Tolly Cobbold team didn’t do quite so well, losing their match away to St Audrey’s.
However, county success continued for the men’s teams when the seniors’ Beaumont team won their knock-out match against Hintlesham Hall three up.
There was more success for the club when the ladies team of captain Vonnie Thornton, Maureen Duckett and Marietta Holmes won the Suffolk County Ladies Division Three Shield.
You may also want to watch:
The first leg of the annual Gorleston versus Great Yarmouth & Caister Howlett Smith competition was held at Gorleston. Six pairs played better ball over 18 holes with success going to the Gorleston ladies five up. The second leg will be held at Caister on September 25. The Howlett Smith competition has been held as an annual event between the two clubs for over 50 years.
The Ladies’ Section hosted their annual mixed open competition. This event is open to visitors and members with separate prizes being awarded to the respective categories.
- 1 Fresh bid to knock down village pub for homes and shops
- 2 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 3 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 4 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 5 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 6 'The most difficult one yet' - Knitting queen displays her latest creation
- 7 Norfolk sees significant falls in Covid cases, figures show
- 8 Search for woman, 64, missing from residential home
- 9 Woman missing from residential home found 'safe and well' after search
- 10 'Appalling' - bid for flat-pack flats sparks anger on coast
A stunning score of 51 for the pair of Rebecca and Michael Draper from Diss Golf Club took the prize for the visitors with Paul and Penny Platten’s 39 winning on countback from Rosemary and grandson Joseph Hodgkin.
The juniors held their Centenary Cup which was won by the junior captain Jack Butcher with a super 41 points with Charlie Peacock on 38 points in second place.
Meanwhile Dawn Futter of Great Yarmouth & Caister recently competed in the Bridgestone Chase Your Dream Women’s Trophy, run in partnership with England Golf. The East Region Medal Qualifier was held at Rookery Park and attracted 85 entries from six counties.
Dawn shot a net 73 to finish one under par and four shots behind the winner. This put her in eighth position, with the top 10 qualifying for the next round. Dawn will go on to compete against ladies from five other regions in the national final.
This will be held in August, during Golf Week, at the England golf headquarters in Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire.