FA Vase exit for Gorleston
GORLESTON made their exit from the FA Vase away to Holbeach on Saturday. This was always going to be a difficult game against the Lincolnshire side who are highly-placed in the United Counties League Premier Division.
GORLESTON made their exit from the FA Vase away to Holbeach on Saturday.
This was always going to be a difficult game against the Lincolnshire side who are highly-placed in the United Counties League Premier Division.
The opposition were an experienced side with an advantage in height and although Gorleston were not at their best they were well prepared for the game, but on the day this was not quite enough to progress.
John Bell, Gorleston midfielder, joined Kayle Howell on the injury list while Ben Manning was at a wedding. Regan Harman, returned from holiday, was on the bench.
Jamie Long was selected on the left of midfield. Gorleston played some good football especially in the first period. A typical build-up from them with accurate passing saw Jamie Long fire wide.
At the other end keeper Tom Marsden made a tremendous save from striker Tom Treacher putting his shot around the post.
- 1 Sammy, 6, finds 'once-in-a-lifetime' rare fossil on beach
- 2 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 3 Six ways Yarmouth wants to solve its housing crisis and 'compete with Norwich'
- 4 Man died on 50th birthday at Norfolk coastal campsite
- 5 Bid to extend life of quarry in Broads' village to 85 years
- 6 Gorleston murder accused not yet fit to enter plea
- 7 Port boss disappointed over cruise ship non-docking
- 8 Free open top bus tours to show off Great Yarmouth's seafront
- 9 Birthday card plea for 'amazing' Rita who is turning 108
- 10 Car flips on to roof in three-vehicle crash in Yarmouth
On 31 minutes Holbeach went ahead when Treacher powered his way through and gave Marsden no chance with his well-struck shot.
In the second half Gorleston made a spirited effort to get back into the game and made substitutions. Luke Goreham had moved to left-back in Ben Manning's absence was replaced by Regan Harman.
Adam Rosatti came on for Jamie Long and Harry Maddison for striker Gary Ingram.
In the 85th minute Holbeach scored their second goal when Tom Marsden came out to challenge a Holbeach striker who had burst through.
There was a collision and a free-kick was awarded to the hosts. They took full advantage of this and the ball was fired low inside a post for the goal.
Gorleston had reduced the arrears within a minute when Maddison broke through and beat keeper James Doughty with a left-foot drive - unfortunately too late to force a replay.
Gorleston: Tom Marsden, Adam Thurtle, Luke Gorham, Steve Taylor, Leon Harewood, Eddie Thompson, Ricci Butler, Pete Lambert, Gary Ingram, Nathan Thompson, Jamie Long. Subs: Regan Harman, Harry Maddison, Adam Rosatti, Harley Clements, Ben Gillies.
On Saturday Gorleston have a very difficult game against Halstead Town (kick-off 3pm).