Fluke goal settles derby
Acle United 1, Halvergate United 2ACLE lost this derby through no fault of their own as the visitors scored their winner against the run of play in a bizarre situation and with Acle well on top.
Acle United 1, Halvergate United 2
ACLE lost this derby through no fault of their own as the visitors scored their winner against the run of play in a bizarre situation and with Acle well on top.
Acle, further decimated with call-offs due to injuries, suspension and work commitments, had to put out a makeshift side but this did at least allow Andrew Wright to make his long-awaited return to first team football after an absence of 18 months.
It was Wright who made the significant difference to Acle's play and attitude with an accomplished performance that showed the faithful just what they have been missing, and his whole-hearted attitude rubbed off on his teammates as the side gave a much improved performance.
Acle took the lead in the fifth minute when a clever through ball saw Holmes execute a delicate dummy, allowing Gavin Bland to sweep into the penalty area inside two defenders to be brought down by Harrison. It gave James Foreman the opportunity to put the spot-kick home and open the scoring after early pressure on Stone's goal.
Tackles rained in from all over the pitch. Acle's keeper returned to form and topped his performance with a penalty save, but the visitors did get the equaliser when Knell forced the ball home.
- 1 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 2 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 3 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 4 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 5 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 6 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
- 7 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 8 Church glamping pod plan on ice as £626,000 funding bid awaits approval
- 9 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 10 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
Acle still pushed forward and with Wright and his central partner James Foreman blocking the path to goal, this allowed Bland and Nobbs to attack down the flanks.
The killer blow came when an innocuous hit-and-hope ball was played onto the edge of Acle's penalty area and Wright made his clearance. But the ball struck Lawrence and cannoned over the outstretched arms of Carter in Acle's goal from 18 yards to give the visitors all three points and leave the hosts in mediocre land with another barren week as regards Dolphin Autos Anglian Combination Premier Division points.
Acle Reserves gained three points from the visit of South Walsham to Bridewell Lane,winning with the only goal of the game to keep the pressure on other clubs at the top of the league as United strive to finish the season in the medals.
Should they achieve this goal it will be a very creditable performance because of the many changes made virtually every week of the season.