Goal machine back in action

Great Yarmouth and District Football LeagueThe 2008/09 season kicked off last Saturday with six new teams and the league's more established clubs all level and hoping for glory in the coming eight months.

Great Yarmouth and District Football League

The 2008/09 season kicked off last Saturday with six new teams and the league's more established clubs all level and hoping for glory in the coming eight months. However, a familiar pattern emerged immediately as last season's 100-goal machine kicked off with eight.

Chad Pillar scored a ton last season for Catfield in all competitive competitions as he led his club to their third straight championship and a third straight season unbeaten in the league.

Caister A were on the wrong end of an 11-0 scoreline as central defender Spencer Self also scored twice, along with G Todd.

A tough baptism for the promoted sides as Lacon Arms lost 5-0 to last season's

runners-up Arches.

Most Read

Tom Burrell opened the scoring and Chris Duffy notched a hat-trick with Daniel Crosby completing the scoring.

Tramways took to the pitch against Reedham with virtually a new squad as only four of the starting 11 from last season's successful team.

Tramways found themselves two down in the first 10 minutes through goals from Daniel Brown and Martyn Bowers. Just before the break a loose ball was pounced on by midfielder Ronilsson Martins whose low shot took a deflection and beat the keeper to reduce the deficit.

Within five minutes of the re-start Tramways grabbed an equaliser. A move starting from the left saw captain Kris Hodgkyns fire home from about 10 yards.

The deciding moment of the game came when a Reedham striker broke through and was brought down for a penalty converted by Wes Noble-Parker to secure the three points for Reedham.

Gunton also lost by an odd goal, going down 2-1 to MK United. Louis Miller and Thompson scored for MK with Gareth Wright replying for Gunton.

The only winners among the promoted quartet were last season's Division Two champions Great Yarmouth International.

Diego Fernandes starred with a hat-trick with new signings Aderito Alves and Americo Gomes also on the scoresheet as they won 5-3 against Golfers Arms who were starting life without Alfie Thompson.

Plenty of goals in the second division with a

12-goal thriller between MK United Reserves and Shrublands that started brightly for MK who went ahead after only a few minutes through 16-year-old Brandon Ingram.

Within 10 minutes Shrublands led when, from a corner, Rory Abel forced the ball home and a superb strike-come-cross resulted in a goal by Adam Secker.

The scoring spree continued as MK then raced into a 4-2 lead with two more from Ingram and an own goal. MK then had a 'goal' disallowed, but still looked comfortable, only for Shrublands to win a penalty on the stroke of half-time, which Secker duly despatched to leave MK 4-3 ahead at the break.

The second half was a completely different story as Shrublands produced an excellent display of attacking football. Dean Chilvers made a great penalty save to deny Shrublands, but undeterred, further goals for Shrublands came from Secker, Jordan Howarth, Michael Harvey and Tom Gardiner before MK got a late consolation, again through Ingram, to leave Shrublands 7-5 winners.

Carpathians' decision to continue in the league seemed a good decision early in the second half as their new-look team led Prostar Windows 3-2 through goals from Owen Beevor, Paul Goodson and Dean Tadgell. Then the lack of a genuine goal keeper meant things went dramatically downhill as they slumped to a 7-3 defeat to two own goals, two strikes from S King and one each from Brindle, Harris and Ben Russell.

New boys Gorleston Wanderers would have been pleased to have only trailed to two first-half goals by Paperclip's Grant Lloyd as Paperclip dominated the first period playing with the advantage of the wind and missed several good chances.

Wanderers would have been ecstatic as Jason Rowe and Chris Thompson soon levelled and they would have looked to start with a win. Another newcomer, referee Jason Elliott, started his new career with a promising display and his intervention awarding a clear-cut penalty proved decisive as Paperclip converted to take the points.

A better start for Albion (GY) who defeated Hemsby Reserves 5-0 with goals from Ricci-Lee Collins, Jonny Bowles, Matt Oldham, Kristian Gowing and Liam Fuller.

A Matthew Wallis hat-trick helped South Yarmouth to a narrow 4-3 win against Great Yarmouth Peelers with Louie Matthews scoring the other goal.

The Great Yarmouth United and Norfolk and Chance game was void as the away side fielded an ineligible player.