Golden day for Yarmouth fencer Stretton
Great Yarmouth and Waveney Fencing Club had four representatives in the Norfolk County Junior Championships, at Hobart High School, Loddon.
Ethan Stretton, last year’s bronze medallist, was in the U12s. In the U14s Adam Barnard, was competing in his first county level competition and Dale Hood was,taking part in his first ever competition after joining the club from the Pakefield Enrichment programme. Also in his first competition was Josh Sheldon, in the U18 category.
Ethan placed 2nd in his group and 4th overall. Meanwhile Josh won two out of five matches, placing 3rd overall.
Adam and Dale both had a challenging time in the U14 poule round. Dale grew in confidence and although he didn’t gain any victories, he was able score points in all but one match, ranking him 7th overall. Adam won one match, gaining close results in the others to place 6th.
In a direct elimination match Ethan faced Daniel Siggins (Esquive). Ethan took the lead and won 10–5. His second elimination, against Tor Warner (Affondo) saw Ethan win (10–6) to go into the finial.
Josh had a direct elimination match against Asher Girlings (Norfolk Academy). The first round was extremely close with the result being tied 5-5. In the second round Asher had drawn ahead 8–11. Josh fought back but Asher won 15–12, leaving Josh 5th.
Dale put up a good fight against the expereicned Matthew Isbill (Affondo) but lost 15–2.
- 1 New Norfolk café is selling out of its custard tarts and Nutella-filled croissants
- 2 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 3 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 4 Village gets together to repair empty home for Ukrainian refugees
- 5 New seafront festival promises feast of family fun
- 6 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 7 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 8 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
- 9 Consultant maps his medical journey
- 10 The seven cheapest streets in Great Yarmouth
Adam fought the 3rd seed, Johny Willcox (Esquive) in his first elimination match and won 15–3. In the semi-finals against Matthew Isbill (Affondo), Adam was defeated by Matthew’s superior blade work 15–3, gaining Adam the bronze medal.
Against Duncan Musgrove (Esquive), Ethan took an early lead. However in the final bout of three minutes Duncan was able to launch a comeback, cutting the deficit to one point. When time was called, Ethan led 8-7 to win gold.
Contact Robert Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.gywfc.co.uk