Good away point for Gorleston

PUBLISHED: 10:54 23 October 2015

Action from Gorleston's game at Godmanchester Rovers (blue). Photo: HELEN DRAKE

Action from Gorleston's game at Godmanchester Rovers (blue). Photo: HELEN DRAKE


Godmanchester Rovers 1 Gorleston 1

Gorleston returned from free-scoring Godmanchester with a good point and are now on a run of just one defeat in six league games.

Ricci Butler sat in the stands due to his ban and Eddie Thompson and Mick Wright held the management fort in the dug-out.

Within the first few minutes the Greens showed dominance and that led to a chance for Lambert but he missed from a Watts pass.

Nine minutes in, a foul on Sandford led to Middleton taking a free-kick 40 yards out and it soared into the box but landed straight in the keeper’s hands.

Sam Ellis pressurised the home attackers but they had a chance with a header on target but good defending from the Greens saw it go over the bar. A minute later a poor shot towards goal fell easily into the hands of MacRae.

Gorleston did well for the next 15 minutes and Lambert had a couple of shots which went narrowly wide, and great play between Sandford and Middleton in the box saw defenders prevent a goal.

Three consecutive throw-ins concluded with a foul on Lambert and Middleton stepped up to take one of his trademark free-kicks but, flying the ball into the box, it was narrowly missed by all.

In the 24th minute Plumstead made a risky tackle in the centre of the area which looked a clear penalty, but luckily for him the referee, who was well placed to view it, dismissed the claims.

In the 27th minute a great tackle from Watts conceded a Godmanchester corner but after a few feeble clearance attempts, a solid clearance managed to repel the danger.

In the 33rd minute a foul on Ingram 25 yards out saw Middleton step up to take another free-kick but he hit it straight into the wall off the defenders and a rebound shot gave the Greens a corner. From that Plumstead headed towards goal but the ball rattled the bar and after a scramble in the box, it was cleared by defenders.

Conna Harris made some great tackles and created lots of pressure on the Godmanchester attackers.

In the 39th minute a great run from Godmanchester’s James Hall saw his shot go wide of the post. According to the referee, this was a corner. But it was wasted for them as it was easily cleared by Ellis to end the goalless half.

There were no changes to either team in the second half, but Godmanchester started strongly and a corner in the first few minutes was headed away from Lambert.

The opening goal came in the 49th minute. Godmanchester’s Charlie Bowen tried a back pass to his keeper but made such a feeble effort that Middleton stole the ball and nipped around the keeper to coolly slot home his fourth goal of the season.

Great play and pressure from Ingram and Watts kept the home defence busy, but Greens could not add to their advantage.

However, in the 61st minute a Godmanchester corner led to a few shots on goal before a cross fell to James Hall. His scuffed shot looked like it was going wide but it slipped into the net to make it 1-1.

Taylor was booked for a tackle in the 65th minute on the halfway line, but the free-kick was hit straight over the bar.

In the 70th minute Watts went for goal but his shot was well saved by the keeper.

An unfortunate mistake from Brown looked like it would cost a second goal but a solid clearance from Plumstead saved the day and the home side wasted the resulting corner.

Good play from Middleton down the left found Watts who fired in a good cross to Lambert but his weak shot on goal went straight into the keeper’s hands.

Godmanchester had two consecutive shots within minutes but both flew high over the goal.

There was scrambled play by both teams in the closing minutes but undoubtedly Gorleston hard worked hard enough to secure a well-deserved point.

Gorleston: MacRae, Ellis, Brown, Harris, Taylor, Plumstead, Ingram (Eagleton), Sandford (King), Lambert, Watts, Middleton.

Other Great Yarmouth sport

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Acle United Women moved to the top of the ERWFL Premier Division after a 1-0 victory at Haringey Borough.

Martyn Sinclair and Adam Mason didn’t have a win to cheer them after their 50 mile charity walk despite a brave show from the young Bloaters.

Friday, November 30, 2018

An injury-time penalty condemned Gorleston to their third defeat in a row.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

This newspaper and Bullards are offering four lucky people the chance to spend an exclusive day behind the scenes at Norwich City Football Club’s training ground.

Most Read

Mon, 18:00

School trips usually involve taking children to see one of Shakespeare’s great plays or visiting a historic museum.

Read more

Plans for a former pub to be turned into a luxury tobacconist have been put under fire by a nearby health centre, with bosses arguing it would “give out entirely the wrong message”.

Read more
Mon, 11:42

Would you like to play a major part in restoring one of Great Yarmouth’s most historic tourist attractions to its former glory?

Read more
Great Yarmouth Borough Council
Mon, 09:21

A joyrider was arrested after crashing into a traffic bollard - and was found to be more than three times the legal driving limit when police breathalysed him.

Read more
Yesterday, 14:29

The inquest into the death of a three-year-old girl who died after being thrown from an inflatable trampoline on Gorleston beach has been adjourned because a police report into the incident is not ready.

Read more

Local Weather

Sunshine and Showers

Sunshine and Showers

max temp: 9°C

min temp: 4°C

Digital Edition


Enjoy the Great
Yarmouth Mercury

e-edition today

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Great Yarmouth Mercury weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy