Gorleston and Great Yarmouth Town advance in FA Vase
- Credit: Archant
Gorleston and Great Yarmouth Town suffered contrasting fortunes in the FA Vase draw.
The Greens’ reward for beating Walsham le Willows is a home draw against London Tigers in the first round.
But the Bloaters will have to travel – the Thurlow Nunn First Division side face London Colney who, like the Tigers, play in the Spartan South Midlands League top flight. The first-round proper games will be played on October 31.
Gorleston’s opponents are based in Greenford, just a goalkeeper’s punt from Wembley Stadium, and began life in 1986 as part of Marylebone FC, so this will be the first time the Greens have played them.
The Bloaters, who play at Step Six of the non-league ladder, have beaten two teams from the level above them in this season’s Vase. A 1-0 extra-time victory over Deeping Rangers put them into the hat for Monday’s draw, while Great Yarmouth had a 3-2 home win over Walsham. Winners of the ties will pocket £900 and book a place in the second round.
Tomorrow, Gorleston return to league action when Felixstowe and Walton United visit Emerald Park at 3pm.
This will prove a tough test for Ricci Butler’s young side as, after last weekend’s round of matches, Felixstowe were third, five points behind the leaders but with two games in hand, having lost just once this season.
- 1 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 2 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 3 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 4 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 5 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 6 Man to be sentenced next month over Norfolk pub attack
- 7 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 8 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 9 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
- 10 TV show filmed in Norfolk starring Ainsley Harriott to air this month
The second-placed Bloaters will be looking to consolidate their promotion challenge when they travel to struggling Cornard United.