Gorleston bow out of Norfolk Senior Cup after shoot-out agony

Gorleston manager Stewart Larter is still waiting for his first win since returning to Emerald Park

Gorleston manager Stewart Larter is still waiting for his first win since returning to Emerald Park after a frustrating night at Wroxham. Picture: David Hardy. - Credit: Archant

Gorleston’s new boss Stewart Larter didn’t get off to the start he wanted as his side went out of the Norfolk Senior Cup to a side who play two divisions lower.

Larter’s first line-up showed three changes from the draw with Walsham-le-Willows.

Taurean Molloy was suspended, Peter Lambert away and there was no place for Jason Thompson. In came Charlie Hitch and Ismael Fatadjo, with Sam Freestone replacing Molloy for his debut.

Gorleston almost got their noses in front when Mitch McKay drilled the ball goalwards but keeper Tommy Wright got the faintest of touches to divert the ball on to the bar.

Three minutes later Connor Ingram broke through but the keeper was equal to his effort.

However it was the hosts who took the lead in the 18th minute when a corner from the left found the head of Eliot Altay and he powered it home.

Three minutes into the second half Wanderers doubled their lead. A deep cross from the right by Danny Self found John Curtis unmarked and he stooped to head in off the underside of the bar.

Most Read

Larter then brought on Jack Garrod for Isaac Burrage and with his first touch he got the Greens back into the match. Fatadjo did superbly on the right to put in an excellent cross and it was Garrod who met it at the back post to nod in.

Both sides then had efforts ruled out before Gorleston equalised in the 68th minute. McKay drilled in a low shot which the keeper could only parry back and Connor Ingram followed up to knock the ball in.

The Greens probably should have won the game two minutes before the end of normal time when Fatadjo slid the ball across to Garrod who sidefooted wide.

The match then moved into extra-time and with boths teams tiring there were no further goals.

Both teams scored their first spot-kicks but then Connor Ingram clipped the outside of the post and McKay blazed over the bar, with Mulbarton tucking theirs away. They needed to score their next to win but Freestone prolonged the shoot-out, saving from Daegan Watts.

Garrod finished his to make Mulbarton kick again and, this time, Hayden Gibbons found the net.

Gorleston: Freestone, Hitch, Kounnas, Clements, Burrage (Garrod 53), Foreman, Fatadjo (Cottingham 110), Goreham, C Ingram, McKay, Ingram.