Gorleston come away with a point after two late goals

Jacob Short scores Gorleston's late equaliser at Haverhill. Picture: David Hardy

Jacob Short scores Gorleston's late equaliser at Haverhill. Picture: David Hardy - Credit: Archant

Two goals in the final six minutes saw Gorleston snatch a point at the New Croft.

There was just one change from the side that beat Great Yarmouth on Easter Monday, with Damon Wise coming back in to replace Reece Hunn.

Haverhill, trying to make sure they avoided a third bottom finish, began the brighter and looked sharper throughout the half.

It took the Greens half an hour before they finally began to look like a team fourth in the table but that only signalled the opening goal for the hosts in the 37th minute.

A long shot was well saved to his left by Taurean Molloy but the ball went wide right to Rafal Wozniak who crossed it for Jonathan Milne to nod home.

Mitchell Burr shot wide of the Gorleston goal before the Greens’ best chance of the half in stoppage time. Joel Watts latched on to a Jacob Short through ball and rounded James Philp but the keeper just got a finger to the ball, forcing Watts wide.

Gorleston did finally get an effort on target after 63 minutes, albeit a Connor Ingram daisy-cutter from range that was straight to the keeper, before Haverhill doubled their lead with 10 minutes remaining.

Most Read

With the space to knock the ball about in the Greens’ half, Rovers played in Rory Jebb whose header just inside the post gave Molloy no chance.

The Greens had already stuck George Yusuff up front and threw caution to the wind, but were down to 10 men when they pulled a goal back within four minutes.

Kyle Baker had limped off after being caught late and was in pain off the pitch when Yusuff’s shot was half blocked. The ball bounced into the centre of the box and Ingram reacted quickest to get in front of the keeper, turn him and shoot home.

Rovers’ nerves began to show as Gorleston piled on some pressure and Aaron Taylor saw his header blocked on the line.

A minute into stoppage time Gorleston got the equaliser. Ingram’s free-kick into the box found Short at the back post and he turned it in from close range.

Gorleston: Molloy, Clements, Wise, Short, Yusuff, Taylor, Goreham (Ingram 57), Oldham (Burrage 72), Baker, Ingram, Watts.

Gorleston have their final match of the season tomorrow at home to Ely City (3pm). The Greens know that whatever happens they will finish fourth.