Gorleston bounce back to claim first league win in 16 matches

Luke Goreham is brought down for Gorleston's penalty Picture: DAVID HARDY

Luke Goreham is brought down for Gorleston's penalty Picture: DAVID HARDY - Credit: Archant

Plenty of effort and two away goals were not enough on Saturday as Gorleston’s winless league run stretched to 15 games.

There were six changes from last week's draw with Hadleigh. Missing were Sam Ellis, Alex Kounnas, Keith Vincent, Aaron Sanders and Harvey Brown whilst Cameron Barnes dropped to the bench. Starters were Daniel Pinheiro, Kyle Ingram, Luke Goreham, Isaac Burrage, Jacob Short and Keegan Middleton.

The hosts took the lead in the 10th minute when a long punt down the middle saw Joe Jackson outpace Isaac Burrage and lift the ball over the advancing Connor Milligan.

Burrage came into the game with an ankle injury and had to be replaced after just quarter an hour.

Gorleston were back on level terms after 19 minutes. Middleton's 30 yard free-kick down the slope was fumbled by keeper Aaron Watson and Mitch McKay followed in to tuck the ball home.

A minute later from almost exactly the same position, Middleton fired over another free-kick which found McKay but this time he was denied by an excellent save.

Midway through the half Swaffham restored their lead. A corner was floated over from the left to Dean Miller who headed it back into the mixer where it deflected off Jacob Short and into the net.

Most Read

A flying Milligan save kept out Ben Coe's header from a corner before the hosts hit their third a minute before the break. Ryan Pearson slid the ball through to Jackson who rounded Milligan and then squared the ball across the box giving Coe a simple tap in.

Two minutes into first half stoppage time, Gorleston were back in the game. Luke Goreham was tripped by Dean Miller and the referee pointed to the spot. Connor Ingram's spot-kick smacked against the post but Joel Watts reacted quickest to pounce on the loose ball and whipped the ball back into the middle where Short arrived to nod the home.

Another excellent save from Milligan early in the second period kept his side in the game but the Pedlars extended their lead soon after the hour mark from a penalty after Goreham had nudged Pearson in the back, Jackson firmly planting the kick into the net.

Five minutes later the Greens were an inch away from getting back into it. Swaffham keeper Watson dallied on a clearance which fell to Gilfedder 10 yards inside the Swaffham half. He hit it goalwards towards the empty net as the keeper scurried back. The ball, though, bounced onto the post and back into the keeper's arms.

Gorleston: Milligan, Pinheiro, K Ingram (c), Goreham, Gillings, Burrage (Barnes 15), McKay (Gilfedder 52), Short (Cantwell 73), Watts, C Ingram, Middleton.

Walsham Le Willows 0

Gorleston 3

That winning feeling returned to the players and supporters of Gorleston on Wednesday evening as their run of 15 league games without a victory came to an end.

There were three changes from the Swaffham match. There was no Jacob Short or Isaac Burrage whilst Dan Pinheiro dropped to the bench. In came Sam Ellis, Dale Cockrill and Jordan Cantwell.

The match burst into life around the half hour mark as Walsham's Lee Sim was given too much time to drive through the centre before he unleashed a shot which was destined for the top corner until Connor Milligan flung himself to his left and turned it onto the bar.

Three minutes later, Ryan Clark pounced on a loose pass and burst into the box. As Milligan dived at his feet, Clark dinked the ball over him but Richard Gillings was covering to head off the line.

Gorleston began to grow into the game and took the lead in the 34th minute with a nice piece of possession football. Jordan Cantwell fed Connor Ingram who held it up then played it into the path of Joel Watts who he lifted it over the advancing keeper.

The form continued into the second half as the Greens looked the sharper of the two sides, with each player playing his part. The passing football saw them double their lead in the 56th minute. Gorleston played their way through the lines and Cantwell, having perhaps his best game in a green shirt, whipped the ball into the six yard box where Connor Ingram was lurking for a simple tap-in.

Walsham began to push on and just before the hour mark Craig Jennings saw his shot punched away by Milligan while a header at the back post from a corner looked destined for the net but this time Sam Ellis, another who was outstanding on the night, rose to head off the line.

Connor Ingram saw a shot turned away then shot low into the advancing keeper when he was through before a little bit of history was made — the first ever player to be sin binned in a Gorleston match with Craig Nurse sent to the dugout for 10 minutes for dissent.

Cantwell then hit a piledriver which was blocked by the head of Ryan Clark before Gorleston settled the match in stoppage time. The evergreen Peter Lambert, returning from another man-of-the-match cricket final, chased a through ball into the box and the it and broke nicely off the keeper for Lambert to pick himself up and roll the ball into the net.

Gorleston: Milligan, Ellis, K Ingram (c), Goreham, Gillings, Cockrill, Cantwell, McKay (Kounnas 80), Watts, C Ingram (Lambert 80), Middleton (Gilfedder 65).