Gorleston FC maintain 100pc record with nervy win
- Credit: Gorleston FC
Gorleston FC maintained their 100pc start to the league season with a win over Thetford Town.
The Greens made a slow start at Emerald Park on Saturday (August 14) and their opponents took full advantage, grabbing the lead in the fourth minute. Elliot Smith got clear on the left and, as Jake Jessup came to the edge of his box, Smith squared the ball to Joao Varela to give him a simple tap-in.
The Greens were only behind for four minutes.
McKay won the ball back in midfield, finding Kyle Ingram who fizzed a pass to Christy Finch on the left wing. Finch swerved through two challenges, cutting inside onto his right foot and striking a low drive into the bottom corner of the net.
Later, Gorleston gained the lead. Joel Watts got clear on the right wing and dribbled into the box, his cross to the back post took a deflection off a defender and found the net.
You may also want to watch:
Gorleston should have had the match sewn up by half time and there was a slow start to the second half with Finch and Varela both having shots off target.
It took until the nineteenth minute of the second half before Gorleston scored their third. Finch's cross was flicked on by Connor Ingram to Watts. Watts knocked it back in to Ingram and his low shot looped up and in off a defender.
- 1 Family devastated after death of much-loved and well-known horse
- 2 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 3 Acrobats and falcons wow crowds at the Out There Festival
- 4 Do you recognise this man?
- 5 Sisters realise late parents' dream by opening coffee shop
- 6 'It's a big pain' - Third river crossing work leaves businessman frustrated
- 7 Out There Festival 2021 begins today
- 8 Trainee probation officer shared intimate photos with convicted murderer
- 9 'I'm totally shocked' - metal railings stolen from Gorleston home
- 10 Inquest date set for Gorleston woman found on beach
Thetford had no choice but to push forward and with two minutes remaining the Gorleston defence went awol, giving Smith the freedom of the penalty area to plant a header past Jessup to set up a nervy end to the match.
Six minutes of injury time didn't help the fans' nerves as Thetford searched for an equaliser but, at the final whistle, it was another three points on the board for the Greens.
Gorleston: Jake Jessup, Angus Mackie, Alex Kounnas, Mitch McKay (Luke Goreham 79), Connor Deeks, Sam Knock, Kyle Ingram (c), Joel Watts (James Bemrose 69), Christy Finch, Connor Ingram, Andre Martins (Harrison Bacon 79)
Goals: Finch 8; Watts 23; C Ingram 64
Thetford Town: Frank Gammon, Sam Bond, Andrew Cusack (Josh Mann 79), Luke Bailey, Nathan Clarke, Elliot Smith, Jake Mann, Ross Bailey (Malley Delgardo 54), Joao Varela, Bernardo Felgueiras, Jack Delaune (Ryan Fuller 72)
Booking: Bond 67
Ref: Stephen Baldock