Wivenhoe 1 Gorleston 1: Greens are pegged back by bottom side
- Credit: Archant
A below-par Greens had to settle for a point against the bottom side after letting the lead slip late on.
Stewart Larter made just one change from the draw at Newmarket a fortnight earlier with Mitch McKay out and Joel Watts coming in.
The Greens began well with Ross Gilfedder having a shot in the first minute which was straight at keeper Jordan Hudson.
After seven minutes Aaron Donaldson got in on the hosts’ left and whipped the ball across the face of the Gorleston goal. It just needed a touch but didn’t get one.
Gilfedder should have put his side ahead in the 12th minute. He beat the offside trap and sent the keeper the wrong way but he stretched out a leg and managed to block. Two minutes later Watts got onto a loose ball in the box but dragged his shot wide.
Jack Garrod then saw a shot bounce back off the post before being involved again in the 24th minute when he was brought down just inside the box by Donaldson.
The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot though he then decided to consult with his assistant. The decision stood and Watts stepped up to send the keeper the wrong way to put his side ahead.
- 1 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 2 5 of the best places to spot celebrities in and around Yarmouth
- 3 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 4 First look as Ainsley Harriott and Grace Dent visit Yarmouth for TV show
- 5 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 6 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 7 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 8 Father still searching six months after Pawel Martyniak went missing
- 9 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 10 The care home bringing people together in its own pub
Gorleston should have gone on from there but they became sloppy in possession and Wivenhoe almost grabbed an equaliser a minute before the break when Ross McClintock was sent through but his shot was always rising over the bar.
Both sides were close to scoring in the opening three minutes of the second half with Donaldson running through at one end but Foreman was out to smother. Then Gilfedder beat the offside trap but his shot lacked conviction.
Midway through the half McClintock volleyed wide for Wivenhoe and the equaliser came in the 83rd minute after the dangerous Donaldson was upended close to the edge of the box. Ryan Gulliver stepped up to float the free-kick over the Greens’ wall where it drifted over the stretching Foreman and dropped down into the far corner of the net.
Gorleston had late efforts from Perfect and Lambert but it would have been harsh on the hosts had the they snatched a late winner.
Gorleston: Foreman, Burrage, Ingram, Goreham, Shade, Taylor (capt), Garrod, Lambert, Gilfedder (Perfect 66), Hannant, Watts (Fatadjo 80).