Great Yarmouth Town 0 Gorleston 1: Greens take the derby honours

Jack Garrod fires home what proved to be the only goal in Monday's derby at The Wellesley. Picture:

Jack Garrod fires home what proved to be the only goal in Monday's derby at The Wellesley. Picture: DAVID HARDY - Credit: Archant

Gorleston retained the East Coast bragging rights on Monday afternoon after winning a tight contest at The Wellesley thanks to a first half goal from Jack Garrod.

Ross Gilfedder tries his luck against Great Yarmouth.

Ross Gilfedder tries his luck against Great Yarmouth. - Credit: Archant

The home side included five youth players in the starting line-up.

Ady Ager returned to partner Ray Urry in defence and Ben Lewis reverted to his more customary position in midfield while an unwell Aaron Sanders was missing.

Gorleston boss Stewart Larter made four changes.Is aac Burrage and Keegan Middleton had to be content with places on the bench while skipper Aarron Taylor was unavailable. Jackson Ramm, Peter Lambert and Ismael Fatadjo started.

Scott Foreman was given the nod to play in goal ahead of young Sam Freestone who had served the Greens well in the previous three games.

On a glorious Bank Holiday afternoon the first goalmouth action came after five minutes when Josh Ford’s free-kick was claimed by Foreman. A few minutes later Lewis’ header was saved easily by Foreman as the home side took the game to the visitors.

The Greens then got a foothold in the game as Fatadjo fired in a shot. Gilfedder then turned on the edge of the area and hit another fierce drive which Milligan pushed away and Watts’ follow up shot whistled past the far post.

Most Read

The goal came just after the half hour mark. A simple move found Garrod in space and he went through unchallenged to fire the ball past Milligan, much to the delight of the travelling Green Army.

Five minutes later it could have been all square. Cullumbine was fouled but referee Ollie Morris-Sanders allowed a good advantage that saw Palmer gallop clear but his shot was saved by the feet of Foreman.

Another great chance came when Howell’s powerful clearing header caught the visitors’ defence out and Cullumbine ran through unchallenged but his lob over Foreman sailed over the bar.

The Greens were first to show in the second half when Garrod’s cross found Gilfedder at the far post but Milligan denied the big Gorleston striker as he was about to strike.

At the other end Cullumbine again found space only to be thwarted by Foreman before a Ford long throw caused a scramble in the penalty area, with a couple of attempts blocked.

The home side were becoming desperate as they launched balls into the Greens’ penalty area but Lambert and Yusuff in the centre remained defiant.

With 10 minutes left the ever-dangerous Gilfedder did well to hold the ball up and play in McKay but he fired over.

Moments later another long ball into the box found the head of Chris Holmes and his goalbound effort was cleared off the line.

There was one more chance for the home side as substitute Cain Eagleton fired in a powerful goalbound drive that cannoned off Lambert.

Man of the match sponsored by the King’s Arms, Northgate Street: Ben Lewis.

Gorleston: Scott Foreman, Jackson Ramm, Kyle Ingram, Mitch McKay, George Yusuff, Peter Lambert, Jack Garrod (Keegan Middleton 85), Luke Goreham (capt), Ross Gilfedder, Ismael Fatadjo (Nathan Russell 76), Joel Watts (Sean Perfect 64).

Great Yarmouth: Connor Milligan, Kyle Howell, Josh Ford (Cain Eagleton 78), Charlie Bartram, Ady Ager, Ray Urry, Miles Palmer (Mitch Forbes 59), Ben Lewis, Tom Cullumbine, Haydn Davis, Kieran Hagan (Chris Holmes 69).

Ref: Oliver Morris-Sanders.

Attendance: 392.