Brantham Athletic 3 Gorleston 1: Greens leave themselves with too much to do in second half

Isaac Burrage hurdles a challenge as Gorleston take on Brantham Athletic. Picture: DAVID HARDY.

Isaac Burrage hurdles a challenge as Gorleston take on Brantham Athletic. Picture: DAVID HARDY. - Credit: Archant

Gorleston conceded three times in a poor first half performance as they slid to defeat on Saturday, with Keegan Middleton’s late goal their only consolation.

There were two changes from the midweek win over Wivenhoe with Scott Foreman unavailable and Elliott Hannant dropping to the bench.

In came Sam Freestone, for only his second game in goal, and Kyle Ingram.

Gorleston began well and in only the second minute a Ross Gilfedder free-kick from 30 yards struck the base of the Brantham post. Two minutes later Ingram drove in from the left and fired a shot which forced the keeper to save.

However, Gorleston couldn’t build on the start and the hosts took the lead in the 14th minute. A cross from the right found Sam Newson unmarked in the middle of the box and he powered a header past Freestone.

Brantham doubled their lead in the 28th minute. A long throw into the area wasn’t cleared and the ball found its way back to Jack Smith in the six yard box and he had a simple tap-in.

Four minutes later it was three. A poor pass out of defence was intercepted by Smith who thundered a shot from 18 yards that Freestone couldn’t hold and the ball slipped out of his grasp into the net.

Most Read

After a scrappy start to the second half, the game opened up and Gorleston were handed a chance to get back into the game in the 69th minute. Craig Hughes was adjudged to have handled the ball inside the area and the referee pointed to the spot but Watts’ penalty wasn’t the best and was saved by Callum Robinson low to his left.

Kyle Ingram’s 71st minute corner was flicked on by Nathan Russell but cleared off the line at the back post.

There was another big shout for a Gorleston penalty in the 86th minute, which looked more of a handball than the one that was given, but this time the referee waved away appeals.

Gorleston gained a consolation goal in the third minute of stoppage time. A nice quick interchange of passes on the edge of the area sent n Middleton through the middle and he finished well for his first goal since his return to Emerald Park.

Gorleston: Freestone, Ramm, Ingram, Goreham, Burrage, Taylor, Perfect (Garrod 72), McKay, Gilfedder, Fatadjo (Middleton 72), Watts (Russell 72).