Stowmarket 4 Gorleston 3: Greens unlucky to lose seven goal thriller

Nelson Carinhas lobs home Gorleston's opening goal in their 4-3 defeat at Stowmarket Picture: DAVID

Nelson Carinhas lobs home Gorleston's opening goal in their 4-3 defeat at Stowmarket Picture: DAVID HARDY - Credit: Archant

Gorleston could feel hard done by at not getting anything from their trip to the league leaders.

There were three changes from the previous match at Kirkley. David Shade was injured while Peter Lambert and Luke Goreham were unavailable so in came Jackson Ramm, Ryan Fuller and Joe Norton for a first start.

Stowmarket took the lead in the 16th minute. A long ball down the left saw Josh Mayhew get in front of the defender too easily and he shot across Tom Coombe into the far corner.

The goal, however, sparked the Greens into life and the equaliser came in the 29th minute. A Ryan Fuller long throw saw Ross Gilfedder get in front of the keeper to knock the ball down to Nelson Carinhas who lofted it back over a crowd of players and into the net for his first Gorleston goal.

Gorleston were the better side for the rest of the half but couldn’t score again and within five minutes of the restart they found themselves behind.

Ollie Brown’s cross should have been dealt with but, instead of clearing the ball, the Greens tried to play their way out and were caught in possession. Elliott Hannant tried to put his foot through the ball but it bounced off Jordan Cantwell into the path of Ollie Canfer and he slotted in.

It got worse two minutes later. The ball was harmlessly running out over the Gorleston dead ball line with Coombe shepherding it out. It appeared to cross the line and then Mayhew dived over Coombe’s outstretched arm. After thinking about it for several seconds, the referee blew and pointed to the spot. Mayhew picked himself up to tuck the penalty away and seven minutes later the Greens were reduced to 10 men when the referee took umbrage to Ramm’s comments when the linesman missed what looked like a clear offside decision. Stowmarket looked to have secured the points in the 71st minute when Tom Matthews’ deep cross was turned into the net by Canfer.

Most Read

But Gorleston pulled themselves together and almost immediately pulled a goal back. It was a Fuller throw again which was only half cleared and Gilfedder knocked the ball back to Joel Watts who volleyed home.

The Green’s third goal arrived just a little too late in the 90th minute. A poor defensive Stowmarket throw saw them under pressure and Fuller pounced and squared to Gilfedder who made no mistake.

Gorleston still had another chance to snatch an unlikely draw. A free-kick 25 yards out was struck goalwards by Gilfedder but was overhit and went over and with it went a chance of a point which was the least the visitors deserved.

Gorleston: Coombe, Ramm, Norton (Philpott 87), Hannant (Tabakovic 90), Tipple, Taylor (capt), Carinhas, Cantwell (Camish 83), Gilfedder, Fuller, Watts. Attendance: 276.