Gilfedder scores four as Gorleston record thumping away win

Ross Gilfedder taking the free kick for his second goal at Fakenham on Tuesday night. Picture: David

Ross Gilfedder taking the free kick for his second goal at Fakenham on Tuesday night. Picture: David Hardy - Credit: Archant

Four goals from Ross Gilfedder helped Gorleston to a comfortable victory on a snowy night in Fakenham.

Luke Goreham was making his 250th appearance and was captain for the game while Mitch McKay made his 100th appearance.

Gorleston got off to the best possible start with two goals inside the first four minutes.

After just 90 seconds good work from Joel Watts on the left saw him swing over a cross which was met first time by Gilfedder, giving the keeper no chance.

Two minutes later Gilfedder was involved again with strong hold-up play before laying the ball back to Fatadjo. He picked out Watts who turned and fired home a dipping effort from 20 yards.

Fakenham responded well but the visitors struck again in the 23rd minute. On the edge of the box, Gilfedder attempted to flick the ball over his and the defender’s head but it struck a raised arm of the defender. A free-kick was awarded a foot outside the box and from a short run up, Gilfedder thumped the ball into the roof of the net.

Five minutes later, he completed a 28 minute hat-trick. Watts won the ball on the left and played it low to Gilfedder on the left corner of the box and he turned inside and curled the ball into the far corner.

Most Read

The Ghosts pulled a goal back in the 41st minute when Gorleston failed to clear a corner and Jack Richardson drilled home low into the bottom corner but their hopes of a big comeback were dashed straight away. The lively Fatadjo dribbled his way into the box and had his legs taken from under him. The referee pointed to the spot and Watts stepped up to finish with aplomb.

The hosts had a chance to score again in the 50th minute when the referee awarded them a penalty for an apparent handball. Kyle Plumb struck the spot kick firmly but Scott Foreman got down to save well.

Gorleston did concede on the hour mark when they gave the opposition too much space through the middle, allowing Ricky Claxton to reduce the deficit. With the snow falling the Greens completed the scoring in the 74th minute when Gilfedder collected the ball on the left corner of the box and turned and shot over the keeper.

Gorleston: Foreman, Ramm, Goreham, Burrage, Shade, French, Fatadjo (Garrod 73), McKay (Ingram 69), Gilfedder, Perfect, Watts (Russell 80).