Gorleston golfers do their club proud in county competitions
- Credit: Archant
Gorleston Golf Club players continued their good run in county competitions in a busy spell by winning two out of three knockout matches they competed in in the space of four days.
Before that the men’s section played their monthly Stableford competition, resulting in a win for Jamie Gough in Division One on countback from his son Brendan and Patrick Greaney, all on 38 points.
Division Two resulted in a great win on 40 points for Steve Heard and Division Three was won by Mark Morgan on countback from Alan Leggett again on 40 points.
On Monday the ladies’ section competed in their second round tie against Stowmarket in the Suffolk County Jubilee Shield knockout xompetition.
The 18 hole better ball match was hard fought with the visitors prevailing, winning by two holes and the club wish Stowmarket good luck in the next round.
Tuesday saw the second county match of the week when the men’s team played Newton Green in the Parks Trophy.
This is a four ball better ball knock out competition played over 18 holes aggregate matchplay. Gorleston were in super form, winning by 15 holes and go on to the next round where they will play a home tie against Rookery Park.
- 1 Roadworks will see a Gorleston road closed for three months
- 2 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 3 Mayor left waiting as cruise ship can not dock at Yarmouth due to winds
- 4 Bid to extend life of quarry in Broads' village to 85 years
- 5 Man died on 50th birthday at Norfolk coastal campsite
- 6 Sammy, 6, finds 'once-in-a-lifetime' rare fossil on beach
- 7 Cyclists embark on challenge from Gorleston to London
- 8 Six ways Yarmouth wants to solve its housing crisis and 'compete with Norwich'
- 9 Investigations continue after body part of man found on Yarmouth beach
- 10 Port boss disappointed over cruise ship non-docking
Wednesday’s Claydon Cup for ladies with a handicap of 28 and above was won by Rosemary Hodgkin with 37 points. The Stableford competition resulted in the following wins: Division One - Heather Harvey with a super 39 points, Division Two - Andre Bloomfield with 35 points and Division Three - Rosemary Hodgkin with 37 points.
The Cranworth Trophy match between Gorleston and Royal Worlington, which was held at Southwold Golf Club, was the third county match of the week.
This is a gruelling 36 hole matchplay contest, with three foursomes matches in the morning and six singles matches in the afternoon.
Gorleston Ladies were in fine form, going 2-1 up in the morning and 4.5-1.5 up in the afternoon. With an overall result of 6.5-2.5 they go forward to the next round where they will play Thorpeness Golf Club at Rookery Park.
All the players deserve praise for their excellent achievement.
For more information on Gorleston Golf Club visit www.gorlestongolfclub.co.uk of contact the club on 01493 661911.