Gorleston golfers enjoy the sunshine in Autumn competitions
- Credit: Archant
There was been beautiful weather at last for competitors at Gorleston Golf Club who played in the Autumn Cup competitions.
On Sunday, in late summer sunshine, the Men’s Section played their Monthly Medal and Mussino Cup for players with handicap of 16 and above.
It was vice-captain Martin Bullen who came out on top to win the Mussino Cup and Division Three with a nett 66. In Division One Robert Cooper won with a nett 65 and the winner in Division Two was Howard Kellett with a nett 69 — great scoring all round.
Again in fine sunny weather, the Ladies’ Section played for their Challenge Bowl and President’s Cup.
Penny Platten was the winner of both cups and Division One on the day with a 72 nett. The winner of Division Two with a nett 73 was Jayne Needham.
The winners of the Summer Eclectic were also presented with their trophies gained from scoring the best eclectic score over a total of 12 rounds played throughout the summer months. Division One was won by Jan Parsons and Division Two went to June Elliot.
Last week’s East Region PGA pro-am at Great Yarmouth & Caister Golf Club attracted 21 professionals and was won by Sheringham’s Will Harrold.
- 1 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 2 5 of the best places to spot celebrities in and around Yarmouth
- 3 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 4 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 5 First look as Ainsley Harriott and Grace Dent visit Yarmouth for TV show
- 6 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 7 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 8 Father still searching six months after Pawel Martyniak went missing
- 9 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 10 The care home bringing people together in its own pub
The Challenge Tour player fired a two under par round of 68 to beat Ipswich Golf Centre’s Neil Mitchell by one shot.
Stuart Brown (Thorpe Wood) and Andrew Pestell (Chelmsford) were joint third after recording 70s while home professional Ian Ellis was tied fifth on 72. A back nine of 39 cost him a chance of victory after he gone to turn two under.
Tennis: Gorleston Ladies are celebrating after coming top of Division Four in the Norwich City Tennis League.
They won 10 of their 12 matches against teams from around Norfolk and are looking forward to the challenge of Division Three.
The ladies were promoted from Division Five last year, after their first year back in competitive tennis. The team comprised of Mandy Driver, Lucy Foster, Elaine Spencer, Sue Elliot, Gini Henderson and Fiona Doggett.
The club is involved in competitive tennis matches throughout the year, entering both ladies’ and men’s teams, and some mixed.
Anyone interested in joining should visit the club’s website (www.gorlestontennisclub.co.uk)
or Facebook page for details.