Gorleston into hat for next round of cup

Gorleston 3, Holt Utd 1

Gorleston put out a strong team for this Norfolk Senior Cup third round tie against Anglian Combination Division One side Holt, writes David Hardy.

The only change from the Saffron Walden trip saw the unavailable Peter Lambert replaced by D J Kareche.

Holt began well and a first-minute corner caught on the swirling wind, almost deceiving Elliot Pride, but he managed to claw it away. The Greens found their feet and began pressing Holt back with Bradley Hough and Chris Sandford both having shots off target.

Gorleston kept patiently plugging away and got their reward after 23 minutes when Gary Williams slid a ball into the box for Chris Sandford to latch onto, and he cheekily chipped it over the keeper as he dived at his feet.

Holt responded well with an Andy Hanby shot going wide, Kevin Moore shooting over and a series of Rory Delapesque long throws – the third of which caused Pride to palm away a James Wright effort. Half-time arrived with Gorleston reasonably comfortable in front, having barely got out of second gear.

A Williams free-kick in the first minute of the second half appeared destined for the top corner until Holt keeper Ben Lucking rose to push it over, then it was Pride’s turn to pluck a Tony Edwards effort out of the air. Williams and Sandford combined well to give Hough a chance but he missed his kick, the ball falling to Mitch Forbes whose effort was deflected over.

Most Read

After 55 minutes Gorleston gave the ball away in midfield, and it was threaded through to Lee Clark who slotted in an equaliser.

Tom Daniels picked up his seventh booking in nine games before being replaced by Liam Bartley. Bartley was straight into the action, putting the ball in the net only for it to be ruled out for offside.

The Greens needed to get themselves out of a slumber and after 78 minutes were given a boost when Hough was fouled by James Medler in the box. Bartley stepped up to confidently bury the penalty into the corner, his second spot kick success in the last three matches.

Four minutes later a route-one ball allowed Forbes to burst into the box and coolly slot the ball under the keeper from a narrow angle for his fifth goal of the season and to ensure it was Gorleston into the fourth round draw.

Not the best Green’s performance of the season, but also not the worst, with players taking too long on the ball and possibly a flattering scoreline. But it is now four wins on the bounce, and to win when not playing well is the sign of a good team.

Team: Elliot Pride, Sean Blowers, Tom Daniels (Liam Bartley 63), Gary Williams (Callum Jones 86), Jack Herbert, Eddie Thompson, Chris Sandford, Bradley Hough, Mitch Forbes, Steve Taylor, DJ Kareche (Jack Garrod 70).

This week Gorleston are at home to Swaffham in the league.

Leiston Reserves 0, Gorleston Reserves 4

From the first minute Leiston were under pressure as the Greens did not give them any time and space on the ball.

Gorleston finally opened the scoring in the 25th minute when Dan Lowe scored with a towering header from a Dane Whiteley corner.

A couple of chances went begging before Dane Whiteley and Simeon Randell trebled the Greens’ lead with a goal each in the last three minutes of the half.

The second half continued in the same vein with Gorleston having the lion’s share of possession and more chances, but the Greens could not extend their lead. Midway through the second half Scott Butler, Elliot Hannant and Ryan Gowing were introduced to freshen things up and all slotted in well.

It was not until the 88th minute that Gorleston scored their fourth and final goal when Butler converted a penalty after Randell was felled in the box.

Squad, Craig Guy, Jonny Watt, Dan Lowe, Simeon Lee, Laurence Taylor, Chris Bond, Jacob Short, Robbie Oldham, Dane Whiteley, Damon Bensley, Simeon Randell, Scott Butler, Elliot Hannant, Ryan Gowing.