Gorleston overcome mistakes

Gorleston 2, Saffron Walden Town 2GORLESTON came back from two goals down to earn a point but, once again, mistakes at the back were punished, writes David Hardy.

Gorleston 2, Saffron Walden Town 2

GORLESTON came back from two goals down to earn a point but, once again, mistakes at the back were punished, writes David Hardy.

The Greens' strike pair Darren Cockrill and Peter Lambert linked up well, with Cockrill sending Lambert away on the wing. His cross found John Bell who hit a terrific left-foot shot towards the top corner, which Walden keeper Ronnie Yates tipped over.

A long punt forward by Greens' keeper Elliot Pride put Bell in on goal, but he was clattered to the ground near the edge of the box by Luke Barker, who was shown a yellow card

After 13 minutes Gorleston hit the self-destruct button. A throw- in close to their corner flag was squared by Aaron Bowers to Pride, who totally miscued his kick, the ball arriving at the feet of Bradley Green who had time to slot it past the outrushing keeper.

Two minutes later Cockrill was put through one-on-one with the keeper by Jamie Stockeld, tried to bend the ball into the bottom right corner but put it wide.

Most Read

After 32 minutes Eddie Thompson slipped and gave the ball away, with Green in acres of space to tuck the ball in at the far post from a cross-field pass.

Three minutes later Gorleston grabbed a lifeline. Stockeld picked himself up from being fouled to put a quality free-kick into the box where Cockrill flicked a header into the goal.

That proved Stockeld's last action as he limped off to be replaced by Callum Webb.

Gorleston began the second half as they did the first with a Bell shot at goal, this time into the side netting.

Walden responded with a 20-yard effort from Sean Anderson which came back off the post. Graeme Turner then shot straight into Pride's midriff.

Manager Richard Daniels replaced wing back DJ Kareche with Mitch Forbes and the Greens began to put the pressure on.

Lambert was replaced with fans' favourite Harry Maddison who has been scoring regularly for the Reserves and was involved in the Gorleston equaliser after 80 minutes.

After winning the ball in midfield, Bell played in Maddison and then broke forward to fire in a deserved equaliser.

The Greens looked likely to go on and win. Forbes was almost put in, but the keeper raced from his box to head clear as Walden began to wobble.

However, the Bloods recovered and, as the game entered time added on, they looked most threatening.

Three minutes into that period last man Sean Blowers was sent off after bringing down Green on the edge of the area. The foul was judged to be outside the box, with Spike Bell's free kick was saved by Pride.

Gorleston: Elliot Pride, DJ Kareche, Thomas Daniels, Adam Thurtle, Sean Blowers, Eddie Thompson, Aaron Bowers, John Bell, Darren Cockrill, Peter Lambert, Jamie Stockeld, used subs Callum Webb, Mitch Forbes, Harry Maddison

Next game for Gorleston will be at the Wellesley on Boxing Day for the traditional Christmas derby with Yarmouth, kick off 11am.

It was an occasion to remember for Gorleston life president Jimmy Jones who showed off the MBE he received for services to football at Buckingham Palace last week.

Match of the Day tomorrow will be the wedding of manager Richard Daniels to Karen, best wishes to them both.