Gorleston show battling qualities to come away with point

New boss Stewart Larter appears to have steadied the ship at Gorleston. Picture: David Hardy

New boss Stewart Larter appears to have steadied the ship at Gorleston. Picture: David Hardy - Credit: Archant

Gorleston twice came from behind for a battling point at Mundford Road on Tuesday evening to extend their unbeaten run to three games.

There was just one change from the side that had won in the FA Vase last time out with Jackson Ramm replaced by Ross Gilfedder.

In difficult conditions, both sides seemed intent on getting the ball forward early but it was 10 minutes before either keeper had a shot to save when Gilfedder’s drive from 20 yards was easy for Kingsley Barnes.

However, it was Thetford’s first shot on target, in the 26th minute, which produced the opening goal.

Gorleston gave the ball away sloppily in midfield and Max Melanson pounced on it before unleashing an unstoppable shot from 20 yards.

Eleven minutes later Gorleston equalised when a corner was played into the box. Peter Lambert’s effort at the near post was blocked but the ball veered up sharply to the back post where David Shade was on hand to nod in his first Gorleston goal.

Three minutes into the second half Melanson had his heels clipped in the Gorleston penalty area and the referee pointed to the spot.

Most Read

Melanson picked himself up to take the kick himself and sent Taurean Molloy the wrong way to put Thetford back in front.

The Greens equalised again in the 53rd minute. A foul gave the visitors a free-kick which they took quickly with Alex Kounnas sent free into the box.

Barnes was out sharply to save the shot and the ball then fell to Daniel Pinheiro who steadied himself and drilled it back goalwards where it was blocked by a diving defender. The ball rebounded back out to Mitch McKay and this time he found a path through the covering defenders into the net.

Gorleston came close to taking the lead in the 61st minute. A strong Joel Watts run on the left saw him pull the ball back to Gilfedder 20 yards out. Gilfedder beat the keeper with his shot but the ball thumped against the post.

Both sides then had periods of pressure. Barnes was the only keeper forced into a save and the Greens finished the game on top.

Gorleston: Taurean Molloy, Harley Clements (capt), Alex Kounnas, Luke Goreham, Isaac Burrage, David Shade, Daniel Pinheiro (Ismael Fatadjo 63), Peter Lambert, Ross Gilfedder, Mitch McKay (Kyle Ingram 75), Joel Watts.