Gorleston sign Canary ace’s son

GORLESTON return to Ridgeons Premier League action with a tough trip to Suffolk to play Haverhill Rovers.

Greens boss Richard Daniels swooped to make a double signing in time for Saturday’s FA Cup game, which saw the Greens beat Harlow Town 2-0 to reach the first qualifying round. The new faces are Richard Woodrow and Remy Gordon.

Gorleston fans know all about Woodrow, who has signed from Lowestoft Town, after he spent time on loan at Emerald Park last season making 17 appearances.

Gorleston beat off several clubs to capture the signature of Gordon, who has just been released by Norwich.

He is the son of former Norwich City winger and Gorleston manager Dale.

“Four or five clubs were interested in Remy,” said Daniels about the former Canaries scholar.

“But we’re delighted to get him on board. People say that we’re splashing out a lot of money but I can assure people that we’re not.

Most Read

“I think players can just see that we’re a club trying to move forward.

“I think Richard will be a real asset to us as well. It’s not on loan either – he’s with us permanently.”

Gorleston 2, Harlow Town 0

GORLESTON progressed into the First Qualifying Round of the FA Cup thanks a double from Liam Harvey-Cooper.

Boss Richard Daniels made just two changes to the side that beat Kirkley with Andy Howell and John Bell starting in place of Gary Williams and Scott Woodgate. New signings Richard Woodrow from Lowestoft, who made 17 appearances for Gorleston on laon last season, and Remy Gordon, son of ex-Greens boss and Canary winger Dale, had to be content with a place on the bench.

Harlow started strongly having plenty of pressure and possession, as you would expect from a team in the Ryman League, a level higher than the Greens, writes Dave Hardy.

However, Harlow appeared to be playing with a narrow back three which gave Gorleston plenty of joy on the flanks but, with Ali McKenna ploughing a lone furrow up front, often nobody could get on the end of the crosses.

It was Harlow’s giant keeper Bertrand Bossu who had to make the first save in the 18th minute from a Chris Sandford shot after Steve Taylor did well to win the ball back near the left byline.

Eight minutes later Gorleston took the lead.

McKenna was put clean through and, with just the keeper to beat, was fouled by defender Lemar Lemonius. The defender was shown a yellow card and Liam Harvey-Cooper stepped up to confidently dispatch the penalty into the net.

Harlow were still dominating possession and could have equalised in the 32nd minute when a deep corner fell to Luke Marshall whose shot crashed back off the underside of the bar.

Sandford had a chance for the Greens but screwed his shot wide and then a short free kick was lifted to the far post by Andy Howell where Eddie Thompson arrived but lifted the ball well over the bar from close range.

Elliot Pride was called into action early in the second half saving at the feet of Lemonius and then a defensive mistake gave Matt Mitchell a chance but he hit his effort well wide.

Harlow were forcing the Greens back and they got away with another mix up before Pride pushed a left wing cross away from goal.

Woodrow replaced Bell to make his second Greens debut with Gorleston reduced to intermittent breaks but, in one of those, they increased their lead on 59 minutes.

Sandford played a ball out to the right wing where Harvey-Cooper had space to cut into the box and crack a left foot shot into the goal.

Again Harlow came back at the Greens who were living dangerously at times. Hares sub Rhys Henry fired over and then they hit the bar again with a Daniel Brown header.

Gordon then replaced the two goal hero Harvey-Cooper and soon began to show his class with a superb touch to bring down a high ball, turn and shoot from the edge of the box.

He also cut in from the left to shoot and produce a low fingertip save from Bossu.

Although Harlow had dominated possession, the Gorleston defence stood strong and Harlow showed their lack of goalpower which had brought them just four goals in their first four games.

Gorleston picked up a �1,500 winners prize and now progress to the First Qualifying Round where a tough trip to Bury Town faces them on 17th September.

Manager Daniels was obviously pleased with the result.

“It’s been an excellent day for the club,” he said afterwards. “No one can deny us the win, I think we deserved to win. We made the changes in the second half that gave us a bit more energy to finish the game off and I think the lads deserved the win.

“The second goal came when, to be fair to Harlow, they were having a bit of a spell and although they had a bit of possession, which you would expect being a higher level and trying to chase the game, in the final quarter an hour we had enough chances to make the win a bit more comfortable.

“It’s been a good time and it’s a great club and it deserves a bit of success.

“I’ve always said I’ve been the lucky one.

“Some managers have tried here and deserved success but have been unfortunate, I’ve just been the lucky one. We’ve now got players who want to come and play for Gorleston and it’s a great place to be at the moment.”

Team: Elliot Pride, Kyle Howell, Reece Hunn, Andy Howell, Adam Thurtle, Eddie Thompson, Chris Sandford, John Bell (Richard Woodrow 58), Ali McKenna (Bradley Hough 88), Steve Taylor, Liam Harvey-Cooper (Remy Gordon 79)

n GORLESTON Reserves have made an excellent start to their campaign.

Following on from their opening day victory at Stowmarket, they travelled to Thetford last week and came away victorious by the odd goal in a nine goal thriller.

Midweek there was more goals to be had as the Greens reached double figures when they beat Dereham Reserves 10-0 in the first of their Chell Trophy games.

With the first team playing away this week, the Reserves are at Emerald Park tomorrow when they play Ipswich Wanderers (ko 3).