Gorleston suffer home double blow

Gorleston 0 Mildenhall 1

Gorleston made five changes to the side that had lost 4-0 at home to Walsham le Willows and were unlucky not to claim at least a point from an improved showing.

Adam Mills replaced Tom Daniels at right back, Reece Hunn returned to the left back spot and Eddie Thompson replaced Adam Thurtle in central defence, writes DAVID HARDY.

With Andy Howell injured, Jack Marsden moved into a central midfield role, Gary Williams and Jack Garrod both started and Ally McKenna replaced Bradley Hough up front.

Gorleston started well but Hall came more into the game as the half wore on and a minute before half time had their best chance, writes DAVID HARDY. Proctor was allowed to continue into the Gorleston box chasing a long ball, even though he looked offside, but Pride was out quickly to save at his feet, the follow-up falling to Andrew Wood who blasted over.

Marsden was forced off at half time with a dead leg, with Mills moving into his more familiar role in cenre midfield and Kyle Howell coming on at right back.

Garrod produced a neat turn just inside the corner of the box and fired goalwards but the ball found the side-netting.

Most Read

Williams hit a 20-yarder which the keeper turned around his right post then, just after the hour mark, McKenna’s shot from inside the six-yard box was blocked by a combination of two defenders. Chris Sandford followed up two yards out but the keeper foiled him.

After 62 minutes and somewhat against the run of play, Mildenhall took the lead when a high ball into the Gorleston penalty area was allowed to bounce and Proctor fired in, giving Pride no chance. Three minutes later Wood went through on goal, his shot beating Pride, but Mills cleared off the line. Gorleston rallied and midway through the half came a moment of controversy. McKenna was brought down as he went into the Hall penalty area. The linesman, in a direct line with it, put his flag across his chest to indicate a penalty. The referee, from 20 yards behind the play, over-ruled him and awarded the free kick two yards outside the area.

Christy Finch replaced Taylor and his first touch was to take the free kick which was dipping under the bar, but the keeper rose to push it over.

Sandford hit a shot which was always rising and Mills had a couple of long-range efforts as the Greens looked for a way through. Sandford fired into the side-netting from a tight angle.

Keegan Middleton came on for the last 10 minutes and almost producing an equaliser. A Mills pass put Middleton in at an angle, his clever little dink went over the keeper but a defender headed off the line.

This was a better performance from Gorleston than on Saturday, and one they deserved at least a point from.

Gorleston: Elliot Pride, Adam Mills, Reece Hunn, Jack Marsden (Kyle Howell 46), Olly Thomson, Eddie Thompson, Chris Sandford, Jack Garrod (Keegan Middleton 79), Ally McKenna, Steve Taylor (Christy Finch 68), Gary Williams. Booking: McKenna 42

Mildenhall: Josh Pope, Rogan McGeorge, Josh Turner (Isaac Jagroop 71), James Paterson, Adrian Judge, Dave Werthmann, Michael Harvey, Alex Street, Andrew Wood, Owen Paynter (Steve Holder 86), Wayne Proctor. Bookings: Turner 55, Werthmann 71. Goal: Proctor 62

Gorleston 0 Walsham le Willows 4

Following a creditable 2-0 win against Norwich United, Gorleston stuck with a 4-5-1 formation with the only change being Reece Hunn replacing Jack Garrod, who was unavailable.

Gorleston were forced into an early change after Liam Harvey-Cooper twisted his ankle taking on a defender in the 19th minute, Gary Williams replacing him.

After half an hour Willows took the lead when Jack Brame crossed from the left and Paul Musgrove stole in to head over Elliot Pride.

Pride was called into action nine minutes later, saving from Brame, before a Chris Sandford sidefoot from a Jack Marsden cross looked goalbound but Andrew Cusack got across to deflect it wide.

Three goals in a five-minute period around half time secured the points for Walsham.

In first half injury time, a deep cross from the right saw Brame outjump Tom Daniels at the back post to nod back across Pride and into the goal.

Three minutes into the second period, with Richard Daniels’ half time words still ringing in their ears, an Ollie Hughes cross from the right gave Brame the freedom of the penalty area to sidefoot in his second.

Almost straight from the restart, Hughes burst through and calmly slotted past Pride for the fourth.

Bradley Hough did have an effort cleared by a defender from the line but at the other end Pride pluck a f header from Charlie Robinson out from under his bar. Gorleston brought on Ally McKenna and Christy Finch to push three up front but Walsham created the best chance when Pride denied Hughes with his legs. There were long-range efforts from Andy Howell and Finch. As the Gorleston players gathered for their warmdown and joint-manager Richard Daniels left them in no doubt that the performance was not good enough.

Gorleston: Elliot Pride, Tom Daniels, Jack Marsden, Andy Howell, Adam Thurtle, Olly Thomson, Chris Sandford (Christy Finch 59), Reece Hunn (Ally McKenna 59), Bradley Hough, Steve Taylor, Liam Harvey-Cooper (Gary Williams 19). Bookings: Thomson 46

Walsham le Willows: Duncan McAnally, Lee Sim, Andrew Cusack, Tom Fenner (Ben Soanes 68), Trevor Newman, Charlie Robinson, Jack Brame, Ryan Foster, Will Brown (James Tatum 59), Olly Hughes (Jon Taylor 75), Paul Musgrove. Bookings: Foster 38

Goals: Musgrove 30; Brame 45, 48; Hughes 49