Great Yarmouth basketball legend Jim returns for reunion
There should be a whiff of nostalgia in the air at the Marina Leisure Centre this evening from 8pm.
A reunion is being staged for former players of the PCC Gunners’ teams of the 1990s and 2000s who playeed at the Drill Hall, including local legend Jim West and current Great Yarmouth Basketball players.
The Gunners were established in the 1970s, with ladies’ and men’s teams winning silverware 16 times. The Ladies were particularly successful, accounting for an incredible 12 of these trophies. The club folded in 2013 following the closure of the Drill Hall to local sports teams.
West, previously a Sports Development Officer for Great Yarmouth Borough Council, who championed basketball to local young people and ran PCC Gunners’ sessions at The Drill Hall, will be making his first visit to Great Yarmouth Basketball – the descendant of the PCC Gunners organisation.
Many of the current players had their first introduction to the game under Jim’s supervision, and his encouragement to young players is very much the foundation upon which the current club is built.
The home of basketball for the East Coast. Great Yarmouth Basketball, are a community sports club based at the Marina Leisure Centre.
The club hosts weekly training for players aged U13, U17, and has a men’s side playing in the Norfolk Basketball League.
- 1 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 2 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 3 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 4 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 5 Man to be sentenced next month over Norfolk pub attack
- 6 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 7 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 8 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 9 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 10 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
Seafront Summer Jam weekly outdoor basketball games will be held during the summer holidays between 3.30 and 5.30pm every Sunday until August 27 at the seafront basketball courts on North Drive, Great Yarmouth.
The Great Yarmouth Basketball Men’s team, and anyone aged 16 plus interested in learning to play or joining the club, are welcome to attend.
Great Yarmouth Basketball players and coaches will be on-hand to run casual pick-up games on the courts, and offer help and advice to anyone interested in trying the sport or improving their game. Information and membership forms will be available for any new players looking to join the club ahead of the 2017-18 season, which starts in September. The club has again replaced and repaired the nets on the outdoor courts at both Gorleston Cliffs and Great Yarmouth seafront, to encourage more people to play.