Great Yarmouth-Broadland edged out in thrilling match
- Credit: Archant
The fourth weekend of the season saw Great Yarmouth-Broadland hosting their third home game of the season, but still looking for a first victory.
Despite some strong runs from winger Joel Allard, making his first appearance of the season, it was the visitors who made the first impact with great defensive work keeping them out after their big ball carriers got down to the five metre line.
However it was the visitors who managed to score first, with the much larger pack using their weight to their advantage and crashing over from short range for a converted try.
To their credit the hosts came back straight away. A period of pressure saw scrum-half Si Ruddick break from the back of a scrum and some great link play saw a fantastic offload from Jimmy Dwyer who found a charging Kieran Wilkes to crash over in the corner to make it 5-7 at the break.
The hosts started the second half the stronger with the returning Gallie adding some much needed weight to the scrum and a well executed backline move saw full back James Doggett race under the posts with Murray adding the easy two. The hosts came straight back with another surging piece of play, good hands from Dudley helping release Haylett to score, with the conversion going just wide.
Repeated infringements saw Great Yarmouth go down to 14 as Ledgerwood was sent for a 10 minute rest. A further infringement at the breakdown led to Union kicking to touch and from the resulting line out, the visitors drove close to the line before the referee awarded a penalty try. The visitors then scored a further converted try to take the score to 17-19.
Broadland once again fought back, with arguably the try of the game. Powerful runs by Beckett and Haylett and slick offloading freed up Ruddick to finish off under the posts, Murray adding the two to make it 24-19. Unfortunately Union added another try to reclaim the lead and kept it after No 8 Haylett crashed over but dropped the ball mid-grounding, with the hosts aggrieved to only finish with two consolation bonus points.
- 1 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 2 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 3 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 4 CCTV released of Great Yarmouth man whose body part was found on beach
- 5 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 6 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 7 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 8 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
- 9 TV show filmed in Norfolk starring Ainsley Harriott to air this month
- 10 Lost sailor found going backwards 12 miles off Norfolk coast
Team: M Beckett, L Raven, G Wilson, J Dwyer, K Wilkes, S Ledgerwood, J Dudley, L Haylett, S Ruddick, S Murray, J Allard, S Howley, B Collings, T Barber, J Doggett. Subs: R Gallie, A Morrison, B Trett.