Great Yarmouth-Broadland end up losing a match they thought they had won

Acky Downing in the thick of the action for North Walsham against Amersham & Chiltern at Scottow on

Acky Downing in the thick of the action for North Walsham against Amersham & Chiltern at Scottow on Saturday. Picture: Hywel Jones - Credit: Archant

Great Yarmouth-Broadland’s visit to North Walsham seconds was always going to be a tough match.

From the kick-off the visitors made good progress but a quick line-out and a rapid counter-attack gave Walsham an early lead.

Two more tries soon gave the home side a comfortable advantage but Great Yarmouth put in some solid work to move the ball well, with some strong running from Kieron Wilkes and Nathan Bensley.

Jimmy Dwyer set a quick ruck and the ball was spun across the backs. James Murphy took a delicate pass from captain Shaun Howley and Murphy cut in, then out to dive over untouched for a score, converted by Stuart Murray. At the half Walsham led 19-7.

Murray added two penalties in early in the half and Walsham added another score. Great Yarmouth’s forwards were in fine form as a scrum was driven over the line, and with Walsham being called for a number of infringements a penalty try was awarded. A break from Walsham then saw the wing break clear to score.

Walsham applied considerable pressure, with Joel Allard, Asa Morrison and Rian Gallie all making solid tackles. Simon Ruddick had a great break from deep, with support from Lee Raven and Nathan Cocking, and this culminated in a score from Chris Buring, converted by Murray, before Walsham broke to score again.

Martyn Greenwood, Liam Lovick and Kane Read all joined the pack from the bench and with less than 15 minutes to play the match reached a frenetic pace. Walsham broke clear again to score but from a Broadland line-out the ball was taken well and Liam Lovick looked certain to score before the maul was collapsed at the line, with the referee awarding a second penalty try.

Most Read

Murray had a drop goal go wide and Walsham worked the ball wide to score in the corner. Time was running down and when Liam Haylet broke from a scrum just inside the Walsham 22 Ruddick was quick in support and squeezed over for a score, converted by Murray.

Initially the referee awarded the win to Great Yarmouth 41-39 but after some debate and review of the scores, the score was updated to 44-41 to North Walsham. Great Yarmouth did not walk away with a last gasp victory but did pick up two losing bonus points.