Great Yarmouth-Broadland III go down in opener
- Credit: PA
Fakenham II 36 Gt Yarmouth-Broadland III 12
Great Yarmouth-Broadland III played their first fixture of the season last weekend when they travelled to Fakenham.
Fakenham, fom the kick-off, immediately applied pressure and despite some solid tackling from James Jones and Barry Trett, Fakenham eventually made it over the line to score.
From the kick-off Great Yarmouth struggled to make ground and Fakenham went over for their second.
Great Yarmouth responded well and a good return from Ant Payne put the visitors in good field position, Kev Collings and Captain Grahame Thompson made some good ground. Scrum-half Tom Jermy saw space, kicked over and managed to outpace both Fakenham wing and full-back to score (unconverted).
Fakenham rallied and a break wide created a try providing a 17- 5 lead.
The visitors then applied pressure and were awarded a scrum 10 metres from the line. Asa Morrison picked from the base, and off-loaded to Tom Jermy who drew the defender before Lee Durrant collected the final pass to score (converted Lederwood). Fakenham led 17-12 at the half.
- 1 Roadworks will see a Gorleston road closed for three months
- 2 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 3 Mayor left waiting as cruise ship can not dock at Yarmouth due to winds
- 4 Bid to extend life of quarry in Broads' village to 85 years
- 5 Man died on 50th birthday at Norfolk coastal campsite
- 6 Sammy, 6, finds 'once-in-a-lifetime' rare fossil on beach
- 7 Cyclists embark on challenge from Gorleston to London
- 8 Investigations continue after body part of man found on Yarmouth beach
- 9 Six ways Yarmouth wants to solve its housing crisis and 'compete with Norwich'
- 10 Port boss disappointed over cruise ship non-docking
A counter-attack from Fakenham led to a quick score in the second half and the game was beginning to get beyond the reach of the Yarmouth side.
Great Yarmouth pushed hard in the last 10, but Fakenham scored two long-range tries.
A big thank you to the Great Yarmouth players who played for Fakenham to ensure a full-sided fixture.
Squad: Tubby, Collings, Thompson, Graham, Vincent, Jones, Trett, Morrison, Jermy, Ledgerwood, Gardner, Durrant, Blizzard, A Payne. Subs: Beckett, Bristo.
Tries: Jermy and Durrant. Cons: Ledgerwood 1 of 2.
Grosvenor Casino Man of the Match Kev Collings.
The first team were awarded a walkover win last week as West Norfolk II were unable to field a team. Tomorrow the firsts travel to Diss II and the seconds play the third team in the league. Both matches kick off at 2pm.