Great Yarmouth Broadland seconds finish season on high note
- Credit: Archant
Great Yarmouth-Broadland II hosted Beccles II in their final league game of the season and recorded an emphatic win.
Beccles took an early lead with a short range penalty but Great Yarmouth responded quickly. Jay Pollard moved the ball well downfield and Darren Gook and Ben Burch made some good ground before Asa Morrison brushed off a tackle to score.
The home side were quick to launch a second attack. Kieron Wilkes came very close to a score but it was Morrison who went over for his second try as he crashed through to score.
The home side were in good form and some excellent pressure from Alex Goff put Great Yarmouth close. Fly-half James Doggett then drew his man and Barry Trett went through a gap to score under the posts. Just before the half Beccles reduced the deficit with two tries. leaving the hosts leading 17-10 at the break.
The second half started well, with Joel Allard finding some space to score, but Beccles retaliated through a long range counter-attack.
You may also want to watch:
Great Yarmouth brought on Antony Able and Paul Able and the latter wasted no time getting involved as he went over to score from the back of a maul.
Some good running from Brandon Laxton then opened up an opportunity and Shaun Howley carried the ball forward before passing wide to Antony Able, who stepped inside to score his first senior try. Great Yarmouth made a final substitution, with Nathan Bensley joining the pack.
- 1 Furious villagers claim chicken farm was approved 'under the radar'
- 2 'Magna Carta is no defence' - Man caught fishing illegally on Broads
- 3 Bid for 33 homes approved as councillors rebel against recommendation
- 4 Woman's third bid to have guesthouse converted into HMO rejected
- 5 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 6 'We will have to work at it' - mixed reaction as Great Yarmouth in tier 2
- 7 Hospital death toll from Covid-19 passes 150
- 8 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
- 9 'I think it's pretty fair' - Great Yarmouth people react to Tier 2 announcement
- 10 Construction of £26m Marina Centre to begin in coming weeks
Beccles rallied quickly and broke to score but any chance of a comeback was short-lived, Nathan Cocking put in a good run back and Tristian Barber made some good ground down the wing before James Dogget was able to find a gap to score.
The last score of the day came as sustained pressure finally saw Pat Finney find a gap to score.
The win put the second XV in a comfortable mid-table finish in their league.
The final fixture of the season is the President Charity match on April 22 when the first XV host Norfolk Fire Service (3pm).
Broadland II: S Brown, P Finney, B Trett, K Wilkes, B Burch, D Gook, A Goff, A Morrison, J Pollard (capt), J Doggett, T Barber, S Howley, J Allard, B Laxton, N Cocking. Subs: A Able, P Abel, N Bensley. Scorers: A Morrison (2), J Allard, J Doggett, P Finney, P Able, A Able, B Trett.
Cons: S Howley, J Doggett.