Great Yarmouth Broadland seconds finish season on high note
- Credit: Archant
Great Yarmouth-Broadland II hosted Beccles II in their final league game of the season and recorded an emphatic win.
Beccles took an early lead with a short range penalty but Great Yarmouth responded quickly. Jay Pollard moved the ball well downfield and Darren Gook and Ben Burch made some good ground before Asa Morrison brushed off a tackle to score.
The home side were quick to launch a second attack. Kieron Wilkes came very close to a score but it was Morrison who went over for his second try as he crashed through to score.
The home side were in good form and some excellent pressure from Alex Goff put Great Yarmouth close. Fly-half James Doggett then drew his man and Barry Trett went through a gap to score under the posts. Just before the half Beccles reduced the deficit with two tries. leaving the hosts leading 17-10 at the break.
The second half started well, with Joel Allard finding some space to score, but Beccles retaliated through a long range counter-attack.
Great Yarmouth brought on Antony Able and Paul Able and the latter wasted no time getting involved as he went over to score from the back of a maul.
Some good running from Brandon Laxton then opened up an opportunity and Shaun Howley carried the ball forward before passing wide to Antony Able, who stepped inside to score his first senior try. Great Yarmouth made a final substitution, with Nathan Bensley joining the pack.
- 1 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 2 5 of the best places to spot celebrities in and around Yarmouth
- 3 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 4 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 5 First look as Ainsley Harriott and Grace Dent visit Yarmouth for TV show
- 6 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 7 Father still searching six months after Pawel Martyniak went missing
- 8 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 9 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 10 The care home bringing people together in its own pub
Beccles rallied quickly and broke to score but any chance of a comeback was short-lived, Nathan Cocking put in a good run back and Tristian Barber made some good ground down the wing before James Dogget was able to find a gap to score.
The last score of the day came as sustained pressure finally saw Pat Finney find a gap to score.
The win put the second XV in a comfortable mid-table finish in their league.
The final fixture of the season is the President Charity match on April 22 when the first XV host Norfolk Fire Service (3pm).
Broadland II: S Brown, P Finney, B Trett, K Wilkes, B Burch, D Gook, A Goff, A Morrison, J Pollard (capt), J Doggett, T Barber, S Howley, J Allard, B Laxton, N Cocking. Subs: A Able, P Abel, N Bensley. Scorers: A Morrison (2), J Allard, J Doggett, P Finney, P Able, A Able, B Trett.
Cons: S Howley, J Doggett.