Thetford Town 5 Great Yarmouth Town 2: Tough night on the road for Bloaters

It has been a testing start to the season for Yarmouth Town managers Adam Mason (left) and Martyn Si

It has been a testing start to the season for Yarmouth Town managers Adam Mason (left) and Martyn Sinclair. Picture: Nick Butcher - Credit: Nick Butcher

Following the disappointing opening day defeat at Newmarket joint-managers Martyn Sinclair and Adam Mason opted to leave out defenders Ady Ager and Jordan Forbes for a tough midweek fixture at Thetford.

Ben Lewis reverted to defence alongside Ray Urry and Aaron Sanders returned to midfield.

It was a big night for former Thetford goalkeeper Kingsley Barnes who was looking to do well against his former club.

The visitors were first to show as a good move between Rose and Davis found Perfect through on goal but he was pushed wide and could only find the side netting.

The Bloaters suffered an early blow when speedy striker Tom Cullumbine pulled up with a hamstring injury as he raced through and was instantly replaced by new signing Orren Oliver, on for his Bloaters debut.

Thetford got the goal their early play deserved when Lewis was uncharacteristically caught in possession and as Rocha raced through he was brought down by Urry and referee Mark Chalkley awarded a penalty that was duly dispatched by Rocha on 20 minutes.

The hosts extended their lead soon after the break when another spell of pressure saw the Bloaters failed to clear and Bailey fired in to double the lead.

Most Read

On the hour mark the visitors made a double substitution, with Hagan and Ward replacing the over-worked Eagleton and Sanders, in an attempt to get something from the game. However two minutes later an excellent ball by Bailey found Fancett in space on the left and he coolly rounded Barnes to score.

Now three down, the visitors finally stirred. A free-kick in midfield was quickly taken and the ball was played out to Kieron Rose who hit a speculative shot from 25 yards that deceived Viner and found its way into the back of the net. With 15 minutes left the Bloaters finally showed some spirit and the deficit was further reduced when Davis and Perfect combined for a cross that was met by the head of Oliver who scored from close range to make it 3-2 with seven minutes left.

With the Bloaters pushing forward searching for an unlikely equaliser, a deep cross deceived Ward and left Tavares in on goal and he made no mistake and the final action of the night came from a short corner that was parried away by Barnes but substitute Piggott was on hand to fire in the rebound to make it five.

Bloaters: Barnes ,Roots, Rose, Bartram (c), Lewis, Urry, Perfect, Eagleton, Cullumbine, Sanders, Davis. Subs: Oliver, Ward, Hagan, Ford, Palmer.

Newmarket Town 4 Great Yarmouth Town 2

The Bloaters travelled to a resurgent Newmarket Town, who had made a number of signings in the summer, for their opening league match of the season on Saturday.

On a hot afternoon the first real clear-cut chance fell to the visitors, with Hadyn Davis capitalising on a mix-up in the Newmarket defence and whipping in a cross to Tom Cullumbine who just couldn’t keep his header down.

Davis was on hand again as he shot from distance, only to see the keeper parry it away.

Newmarket then grew into the game and found themselves with a free-kick wide, halfway into Yarmouth’s half. It was floated to the back post and nodded back across the area where Kingsley Barnes had to be alert to parry the resulting shot. But the ball fell at the feet Joe Bennett to slot home to give the hosts the lead.

Another chance for Yarmouth saw Ben Lewis go close from the edge of the box while a header at the back post from Cain Eagleton just eluded Ady Ager who was unable able to get his head to it from six yards out.

When the second half started it was evident that Newmarket were looking to add to their lead. It soon came from Rhys Thorpe, who rose at the back post to head home to put the hosts 2-0 up.

Another looping cross not long after saw Barnes come to claim but he couldn’t quite get there and this time Shaun Avis nodded home.

Yarmouth then went in search of a goal and a good move ended in a slotted ball through to Sean Perfect, who fired home to make it 3-1.

However virtually straight from the kick-off another cross, this time coming in low, saw Avis score his second to make it 4-1. Aaron Sanders was introduced and was soon in the action as he finished well from a swift counter-attack to reduce the arrears.

Newmarket then hit the bar from another attack to nearly make it five. Still confident they could get back into the game Yarmouth found Perfect with a searching ball over the top, where his looping volley over the keeper went agonisingly wide.

Despite the result there were a lot of positives to take from the game.

Bloaters: Barnes, Roots, Rose, Ager, Forbes, Lewis, Bartram, Eagleton, Davis, Perfect, Cullumbine.

Subs: Sanders, Ward, Hagan, Ford, Oliver.