Great Yarmouth make extra man count at Wroxham to start league campaign with win
- Credit: Archant
Great Yarmouth opened their Thurlow Nunn League campaign in fine style with a 3-1 win at newly relegated Wroxham at a soggy Trafford Park.
Second half goals from Sean Perfect, Miles Palmer and Joel Glover secured the victory after Wroxham had had a man sent off just before the break.
The Bloaters welcomed back skipper Rob Andersen and the experienced Kyle Howell and Adam Thurtle came into the squad for his debut.
On a slick surface the early action was end to end, with both sides having chances. The first goal came when a shot by Swatman cannoned off Howell and completely wrong-footed Glover to give the hosts the lead on 22 minutes. Ex-Gorleston man Adam Plumstead was then given a yellow card for a cynical foul on Glover.
The best chance of the half for the visitors came when Sanders’ trickery found space on the left and his cross was lifted over the bar as Glover slid in with an outstretched leg. The turning point came just before half-time as Plumstead and Ager’s running battle culminated in a late challenge that saw Plumstead given a second yellow by referee Mark Shalkley.
With the home side reduced to 10 men, the Bloaters made a tactical change at half-time with Savage replaced by Perfect as a signal of intent. The visitors started on the front foot as Davis chipped a cross into Forbes whose header was saved by Viner.
There were more chances before the visitors finally equalised in the 61st minute. Davis found Glover and his pass in turn found Perfect who cut inside to fire home.
- 1 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 2 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 3 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 4 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 5 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 6 Tributes to 'wonderful' school head who loved to see children learn
- 7 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 8 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
- 9 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 10 Obituary: 105-year-old who outlived eldest sibling by five months
The visitors were not content with a point and with 15 minutes to go Glover, Forbes and Perfect produced some fine build-up play to feed the ball into Palmer whose fierce shot found the bottom of the net with his first touch after coming on as a substitute. Five minutes later Forbes found Glover in space on the halfway line and the striker galloped away and fired in a thunderous 30 yard shot that cannoned back off the post. With two minutes left the tireless Glover found space in the box to turn his marker and smash the ball into the net for a much-deserved goal.
Bloaters: Glover, Howell, Savage, Bartram, Ager, Andersen, Applegate, Davis, Forbes, Glover, Sanders. Subs: Perfect, Mcara, Palmer, Thurtle, Doddington.