Great Yarmouth swimmers rise to the occasion in gala staged at elite venue
- Credit: Archant
Great Yarmouth Swimming Club hosted another of its popular development galas on Saturday.
On this occasion it was held at the UEA Sportspark Swimming Pool in Norwich giving the younger swimmers an opportunity to compete at an elite venue.
Just under 200 swimmers, with other clubs including Swans, Hunstanton, Lowestoft and Oulton Broad, Diss Otters and West Norfolk, participated.
As the hostd, Great Yarmouth had a large squad and they excelled themselves, winning 20 golds, 17 silvers and 22 bronze.
In the age nine Grace Turner was on top form, coming away with gold in 100m IM, 50m freestyle, 50m breaststroke, 50m backstroke and silver in 50m butterfly. Skye Nichols also won gold in 25m butterfly, along with a silver and two bronze medals, and Amelia Dibble took gold in the 50m butterfly, beating her team-mate Grace, along with a silver and a bronze.
You may also want to watch:
In the girls age 10, four Great Yarmouth swimmers came away with gold medals: Agatha Gouldby, who took two golds in the 25m freestyle and the 25m backstroke and a silver in the 25m breaststroke. Zoe Land won gold in the 50m freestyle along with a silver and a bronze.
Ruby Copping won gold in the 25m butterfly and Poppy Loveland won gold in the 50m breaststroke. Swimming in the girls age 11 and over, Alyssa Greenall took a strong silver in the 50m breaststroke.
- 1 Fresh bid to knock down village pub for homes and shops
- 2 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 3 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 4 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 5 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 6 'The most difficult one yet' - Knitting queen displays her latest creation
- 7 Norfolk sees significant falls in Covid cases, figures show
- 8 Search for woman, 64, missing from residential home
- 9 Woman missing from residential home found 'safe and well' after search
- 10 'Appalling' - bid for flat-pack flats sparks anger on coast
The boys showed great strength and improvement on the night. Charlie Foulger took a confident gold in the boys age eight 50m freestyle. In the age nine Harvey Green came away with a gold in the 25m backstroke and silver in the 25m butterfly.
The age 10 boys had a successful evening, bagging 16 medals between them. The two gold medallists were Jensen Vann who won gold in the 50m backstroke along with silver in the 100m IM and bronze in the 50m butterfly; and Adam Platten who won gold in the 25m breaststroke and bronze in the 25m butterfly.
In the boys age 11 and over age group, Arvee Seetul had an excellent gala, winning gold in three events — the 100m IM, 50m butterfly and 50m backstroke. Oliver Grimmer also swam well to win gold in the 25m breaststroke.
Vassar Loveland was another gold medalist, winning the 50m breaststroke. Meanwhile Karthik Saravanan came away with two silvers.