Great Yarmouth Town 1 Halstead Town 1 – Bloaters can’t win for Joe

Joe Bryant after making his 100th appearance for Great Yarmouth Town.

Joe Bryant after making his 100th appearance for Great Yarmouth Town. - Credit: Archant

The game started well for Great Yarmouth Town in their Thurlow Nunn Premier Division clash with Halstead on Saturday and they were in front within two minutes when Pete Oldham found himself with room to head in at the far post.

It was his first of the season and reward for the miles he has already put in this season. The hoped for onslaught never really happened after that although Leighton Crux, Mitch Forbes and Scott Woodcock all took turns in tormenting the visiting defence.

Halstead equalised with their first real attack when Eddie Short was adjudged to have fouled an attacker in the box. Halstead got the equaliser from the spot and Short received a yellow card.

Yarmouth had a chance to re-take the lead when Woodcock crossed from the left but Forbes didn’t get enough on the header.

The second half consisted mainly of a stream of cards being brandished towards Yarmouth players and management. Assistant manager Carl Butler was sent to the stand with 15 minutes remaining for remonstrating with the ref over a second penalty awarded to Halstead.

Fortunately for the Bloaters Taurean Molloy dived low to his right to save the spot kick.

Great Yarmouth did have more chances, firstly with a speculative overhead kick from Scott Butler and then from Deividas Andriuskevicius who, on the touchline, controlled a pin-point cross by Robin Andersen ran towards the edge of the area and fired left-footed just over the bar.

Most Read

Although this was not the most attractive game to watch with both teams cancelling each other out, you can expect to see both of these clubs in the mix at the end of the season.

It was a special day for Joe Bryant who stepped out of the Wellesley grandstand and on to the pitch, for the 100th time in a Great Yarmouth Town FC 1st team shirt.

Joe made his debut in 2006-07 season on January 1, 2007, when he went on as substitute in a 2-0 home defeat against Fakenham Town. He did not play again until 2008-09 and scored his first goal on April 11, 2009 at Downham Town in a 5-0 victory.

Joe left for a while before coming back for the 2011-12 season.

Joe is pictured with manager Ricci Butler, superfan Tony Harris (Joe’s sponsor for this season) and chairman Stephen Brierley in a presentation of a bottle of bubbly before the game.

Yarmouth visit AFC Sudbury this Saturday.