Long Melford 3 Great Yarmouth Town 0: Bloaters let it slip in second half

A young Bloaters squad travelled to Long Melford having slipped to the bottom of the Premier League table and conceded three goals - including a controversial penalty - in the final quarter to suffer another defeat.

The visitors started well as a marauding run by Savage ended with a cross that narrowly missed the head of McAra.

Minutes later the Bloaters should have been ahead when Palmer’s pass found Sanders but his shot was blocked and keeper Morrison cleared.

Some more good play by Hagan and Palmer saw the latter’s cross agonisingly miss both strikers in the area as the visitors continued to look dangerous. Wingfield for Melford then was put through but was unable to convert his shot.

Yarmouth began the second half on the front foot as first Savage hit a firm shot which Morrison pushed clear and then McAra followed up, but the big keeper saved again.

Play continued to swing from end to end with the Bloaters looking more likely to get the first goal and it looked like the deadlock had been broken in the 65th minute when Palmer advanced towards goal and lobbed the keeper but his effort lacked any power and a defender got back to clear.

A couple of minutes later a quick break by the home side found Wingfield in the area and his effort was pushed skywards by Barnes. Despite the attempts of the keeper and Savage on the line, the ball bounced into the net for a cruel blow as Melford took the lead.

Most Read

The impressive Urry then got forward to power in a shot that was saved by Morrison and another attack was smothered by the home defence as the Bloaters continued to search for an equaliser. With 10 minutes left Ally advanced into the penalty area and was challenged by Forbes and his tumble was deemed a penalty by referee Grant, much to the displeasure of the visitors.

The protests continued and joint-manger Sinclair said something the referee took exception to and was sent to the stands. Rowe duly sent Barnes the wrong way and put the hosts two up.

Barnes then produced an excellent save from a Lopez free-kick before Hagan drifted past a couple of defenders before firing narrowly wide. But it wasn’t to be for the Bloaters and with the last kick of the game a lack of concentration saw Ally poked the ball past Barnes to give the home side a flattering three goal advantage.