Great Yarmouth Town focus

GREAT YARMOUTH TOWN FCBy Gerry BrownThe cooler, damper weather has ameliorated the position with regard to pitches in the area and Great Yarmouth's U18 side received the ok for their match on Wednesday which ended Yarmouth 5, Kirkley & Pakefield 2.


By Gerry Brown

The cooler, damper weather has ameliorated the position with regard to pitches in the area and Great Yarmouth's U18 side received the ok for their match on Wednesday which ended Yarmouth 5, Kirkley & Pakefield 2.

Hopefully, the Reserves game tomorrow will go ahead too. If it does, they will play Stowmarket Town Reserves (kick-off 3pm at the Wellesley) in what would be their first home game this season. There is free admission to U16s accompanied by a paying adult (�2) or senior citizen (�1).

So far the Bloaters' Reserves have played six away games and have won them all. Last week saw them advance to the third round of the Norfolk Junior Cup with a 2-1 success at Drayton, a game that was switched to the Dayton pitch because of the first team's Ridgeons fixture.

The U18s returned from last week's trip to Wroxham with an amazing 8-3 victory which included a hat-trick from team captain Lee Roscoe. Wednesday's game against Kirkley & Pakefield started a run of six consecutive home fixtures - next week sees Harford Tornadoes visit the Wellesley on Wednesday (kick-off 7.45pm). Admission prices are the same as for the Reserves (see above).

Most Read

To keep up to date with fixture confirmations, visit

The new waste paper collection bin has arrived and can be found inside the Wellesley by the north-west gate. Being blue in colour and with a pointy roof it has inevitably been tagged “The Tardis”! Papers etc need to be pushed through slots - so no bags please.

Great Yarmouth Town 3, Long Melford 0

Two second-half super-subs on Saturday came to Yarmouth's rescue against a fighting Long Melford side who only succumbed in the final half-hour. Mark Thompson and Stewart Roach made the difference as Yarmouth extended their run to nine games unbeaten.

The Bloaters created chances in abundance, but everything they tried in the first half just did not come off. The nearest to a goal was an 18th minute Scott Woodcock shot against the underside of the bar when the ball bounced down and away.

Melford goalkeeper Paul Wood, who spent several years at Spurs, had an exceptional game in the visitors' goal.

Gavin Norman made a second “debut”, having played one game last season, and although he was injured after only five minutes, he looked a useful acquisition, and comes with a reputation as a goalscorer. He had a fine swerving shot in the 11th minute, then fed a great pass in to Jake Reed - making his 50th appearance - who was pulled up for offside.

Fernando Vide contributed mightily again, running rings around the opposition and providing chances for others. It was from one of his passes that Woodcock, showing a great appetite for goals, had another shot hit the woodwork while yet another was deflected for a corner. Woodcock then tried the direct route, again after receiving from Vide, but Wood got down well to the final shot, before beating out another effort.

Melford had the odd chance but the talk of half time was: would Yarmouth rue those missed chances?

Mark Thompson replaced Norman at the start of the second half when four Yarmouth efforts in the first five minutes brought no reward. But when Roach replaced Reed, it all started to happen.

After 58 minutes, Roach and Magee combined to get the ball to Thompson who sent in a screamer that flew under the diving Wood's body. Four minutes later, Vide and Ollie Savage played a one-two, the ball came to Magee who produced a deft flick to Roach who finished with aplomb off a post.

Woodcock went off to appreciative applause but on went Liam Bartley to continue the right-wing rampage. Roach was in the right place to poach a third in added time, heading in a Thompson centre.

“The first half was very frustrating,” reflected Paul Tong. “With Long Melford's position the expectancy was that the game would be easier than it actually turned out. But in fairness to the Suffolk boys - and they were a young outfit - they belied their position with their keeper inspired.

“But enter super-sub Mark Thompson yet again. 'Thommo' latched onto a marvellous ball by Martyn Magee, brought it down and lashed it home under the advancing keeper! Then, that man Roach came up with the goods again, as only he can, notching two goals doing what he does best - finishing off opportunities.”

Yarmouth: M Hilton, A Sewell, O Savage, D Smith, G Palmer, M Saunders, S Woodcock (L Bartley 72), M Magee, J Reed (S Roach 58), G Norman (M Thompson 46), F Vide. Unused sub: C Roberts. Att: 52.

Drayton 1, Bloaters Reserves 2

Norfolk Junior Cup second round team-raising problems did not prevent Yarmouth Reserves from sending out a side on Saturday which included youth team youngster Joachim Sisse for the first time. However, Drayton, from the Norwich Business Houses League, never looked like causing too many problems and their goal was gifted to them by a defender's late mistake.

Yarmouth opened the scoring in the first half with a well-made goal for Alex Formoso: a passing move starting from the back saw Joe Bell send the ball across from left to right where Formoso controlled, beat a man and shot into the far corner of the net.

Yarmouth continued to dictate the game into the second half and the second goal duly arrived via Johnny Watt whose head connected with a Bell corner. Ten minutes from the end, a sloppy back pass let in the Drayton striker who went on to put the ball under Blaine Lowthorpe's legs. The home side then had their best spell of the match but several long shots did not worry Lowthorpe.

Team: Lowthorpe, Miller, Watt, Barnes, Short, Bell, Brooks, Formoso, Sisse, V Formoso, Greening. Sub: Ward.

Wroxham Youth 3, Great Yarmouth Youth 8

The Bloaters put in a confidence-boosting performance at Trafford Park. The midfield trio of Lee Roscoe, Ross Catchpole and Jacob Maitland looked accomplished in a team effort.

After only five minutes Adam Blanch headed in a Roscoe shot. Joaquim Sisse added a second on 15 minutes after being put through one on one with the keeper. Wroxham's reply was immediate. Jake Sharpe was unlucky as he pulled off a fantastic save from the first shot for the rebound to fall for the Wroxham striker to tap in. Roscoe then scored a speculative individual goal after 25 minutes, beating a couple of players in the box before the shot curled away from the keeper.

Joshua Trett fired in from another good Catchpole corner. Sisse scored his second and Yarmouth's fifth on the stroke of half-time, rounding the keeper after good work from Roscoe. Wroxham pulled a goal back.

Trett scored his second on 55 minutes, rounding the keeper to finish coolly. Debutant, and new signing from Lowestoft Town, Danny Burgess made an immediate impact, producing a lovely cross from the left for Roscoe to head in.

Wroxham got their third and with the game coming to a close Roscoe completed a deserved hat-trick, another header from another great Burgess cross.

The man-of-the-match award was shared by Roscoe and Catchpole, but special praise also has to go to the younger members of the squad Liam Baker and Danny Burgess.

Team: Sharpe, Short, Bari, Lee, Pullin, Maitland, Roscoe, Catchpole, Sisse, Trett, Blanch. Subs: Harvey, Burgess, Baker.