Great Yarmouth Town leave themselves with too much to do


- Credit: Archant

Cornard 3 Gt Yarmouth Tn 2

The Bloaters went into their match at Cornard with a 100pc away record without conceding a goal.

But the home side, managed by former Sudbury stalwart Chris Tracey, had shown signs of improvement since his appointment.

After only two minutes the record had gone as the Bloaters found themselves a goal down when a corner was not dealt with and the home striker fired in.

Two minutes later a long ball caught the defence napping and the number nine managed to get behind the back four and his lofted shot sailed over keeper Hembling to make it 2-0 to the hosts.

Shell-shocked Bloaters responded when Lee Roots was upended on the edge of the box, but Deeks’ free-kick whistled over the bar. The visitors response was short-lived, as on 18 minutes the Bloaters again failed to deal with a long ball and conceded a sloppy third goal.

A series of chances came and went for the Bloaters, Deeks’ shot was well-saved as was a McAvoy free-kick from the edge of the box. Jordan Forbes had a chance to score when a Deeks cross was headed narrowly wide.

Most Read

The half finished with the Bloaters controlling possession without creating enough clear-cut chances to find a way back into the game.

After a few stern words at half-time the Bloaters resumed their possession of the ball and unusually it was the hosts who began to lose composure, with two yellow cards in as many minutes for rash challenges,

After 55 minutes Roots skilfully outwitted his opponent and sprinted towards goal, played a pass into Forbes and his left-foot shot found the back of the net to give the Bloaters a glimmer of hope.

From then on the Bloaters bombarded the home goal and the hosts were content to play on the counter-attack and protect their lead, although a free header from a corner should have extended their advantage.

McAvoy fizzed a shot over and Turner had a good effort saved. Bailey made way for Charlie McAra and he was instantly into the action hitting the bar when through on goal.

A superb Deeks’ free kick also hit the bar and Forbes blasted over when well-placed to score.

The Bloaters were throwing everything at the hosts and sub Crux looked to have been hauled down when through on goal, only for the ref to play advantage resulting in McAra firing narrowly wide.

Another opportunity saw McAvoy put the ball in the net after the home keeper appeared to have lost control of the ball, although this was ruled out and a free-kick awarded to the home side.

Mitch Forbes finally got his second of the match on 88 minutes when finishing well after more good play but it was all too late and the home side held on for a fine victory.

A horror-show first 20 minutes by the Bloaters gave them a mountain to climb and the home side are difficult to beat on their own ground.

A combination of poor finishing and resolute defending by the hosts made sure all three points stayed in Suffolk.

Congratulations and thanks to everyone at Cornard for their hospitality.

The Bloaters have a blank week with the next match against King’s Lynn Reserves on Tuesday, October 20 at the Wellesley, kick-off at 7.45pm.