Greens and Robins to meet twice

The next two games for Gorleston will both be against the same opponents, with Ely City providing the opposition twice in the space of a little over 72 hours.

The next two games for Gorleston will both be against the same opponents, with Ely City providing the opposition twice in the space of a little over 72 hours.

Tomorrow the Greens make the long journey to the Unwin Sports Ground for a Ridgeons League first division match against the second-place Robins, looking to close the gap on the promotion places.

Then on Tuesday night the Robins visit Emerald Park for a League Cup encounter (ko 7.45pm) when a place in the semi-finals will be stake.

Gorleston 2, Saffron Walden Town 2

GORLESTON were hoping to put their shock Norfolk Senior Cup exit behind them when they welcomed former Eastern Counties League champions Saffron Walden Town to Emerald Park, looking to record their first league victory against the Essex outfit since 1984, writes Simon T Ball.

Harry Madison and Luke Goreham replaced Nathan Thompson and Ricci Butler, who were on the bench.

Most Read

Saffron Walden won a second-minute corner which saw Kevin Vallis and Ben Stokes both having close-range chances, the Greens' defence scrambling the ball clear.

Gorleston swept forward - Peter Lambert fed John Bell on the right and his cross was inches away from Gary Ingram. With 10 minutes gone the Greens should have been in front but Dale Cockrill glanced his header just over from another Bell cross.

Five minutes later the visitors wasted another golden chance when Ben Riches headed over from five yards. Saffron Walden keeper David Pledger then had to be alert to smother the ball at the feet of Harry Madison.

With 22 minutes gone the visitors broke the deadlock. A free-kick from Dean Godden eluded the Greens' defence and Richard Chadwick had time and space to volley the ball past Nialli.

Five minutes later there was a considerable halt to proceedings when Gorleston lost keeper Nialli. He was stretchered off following a challenge from Paul Stokes for which Stokes received a yellow card. The Greens shuffled the pack, replacing Nialli in goal with Gary Ingram, and Gary Todd was brought on up front.

The first half finished with Gorleston struggling to find any rhythm and the visitors looking comfortable.

Gorleston made a further substitution at half-time, bringing on Nathan Thompson for Harry Madison and were back on terms less than two minutes after the break when John Bell rifled home his third goal of the season.

Midway through the half the visitors were almost in front again when Stokes got up highest to head Chadwick's cross against the bar and over. Five minutes later and the Greens were not so fortunate.

Gorleston's Jack Marsden received a yellow card for bringing down substitute Spike Bell. From the free-kick the defence failed to clear and at the third attempt Chadwick beat Ingram with a low drive.

The Greens were level with five minutes remaining. Ricci Butler's corner from the left was headed in by Peter Lambert among a crowd of players.

Saffron Walden goalscorer Chadwick was shown a red card in injury time after a bout of pushing and shoving.

Gorleston: A Nialli, K Howell, J Marsden, D Cockrill, A Thurtle, E Thompson, J Bell, P Lambert, G Ingram, H Madison, L Goreham. Subs: R Fruin, N Thompson (for Madison 46 minutes), R Butler (for Goreham 80 minutes), M Bowles, G Todd (for Nialli 34 minutes).