Greens could seal a place in top three

FOLLOWING their cup success and a disappointing league result, Gorleston have another major match tomorrow at Cambridge University Press.

If the Greens avoid defeat it will be enough to guarantee a top-three finish, unless CUP win their last match by a record score line, writes David Hardy.

Gorleston’s title hopes took a knock with Tuesday’s home defeat by Whitton, however, their destiny is in their own hands. If they win their four remaining games, starting tomorrow, they will be crowned champions and keep the league trophy in the borough for the second year running following Great Yarmouth Town’s success last season.

Gorleston 0, Whitton 3

It was a case of ‘after the Lord Mayors Show’ as Gorleston suffered from a cup hangover and received a slight knock to their hopes of title success.

The Greens got off to their now almost customary slow start with Whitton taking the lead in the fifth minute.

A Kevin Inglis free-kick flew low across the box, missing everybody except Chris Williams who arrived at the far post to put the ball in unchallenged.

Most Read

Gorleston responded well and, within two minutes, Bradley Hough had forced Darren Moyse in the Whitton goal to save with his legs.

Both sides were in attack mode, Mills having a shot float wide then Chris Sandford with an effort deflected off target at the other end.

Midway through the half Hough broke into the box and rode a hefty challenge, staying on his feet when others may have gone down, before firing a shot into the side netting.

Then Richard Woodrow threaded a sliderule pass to Mitch Forbes but again Moyse was equal to the goal attempt.

Whitton had a header hit the bar and then Sandford was denied by Moyse. Hough tried to pounce on the follow-up but Whitton were able to get the block in again as the game flowed from end to end.

Just before the break a Woodrow effort was deflected by a defender into the keeper’s arms.

It had been an excellent, pulsating, half of football played at great pace, and the only surprise was that there was only the one goal.

Gorleston came out in the second half looking to pile on some pressure, and Forbes had an early shot go well over.

Sandford poked a close-range chance wide after Hough had pulled the ball back from the goal line. Two Whitton defenders also caused their own goalkeeper slight concern with headers.

It wasn’t all Gorleston, however, with Whitton dangerous going forward, and they effectively killed the game off with two goals in two minutes just after the hour mark.

Adam Thurtle managed to get in the way of a Williams’ run, but from the resultant corner, Simon Hyde had the freedom of Emerald Park to sidefoot home at the back post.

Worse then followed as Williams connected with a deep cross to bury the ball and knock the stuffing out of the Greens.

Gorleston kept going but, on the day, Whitton were quicker, stronger and looked like they wanted, or maybe needed, the win more.

Moyse was barely troubled as the half neared its end and the Greens must now pick themselves up for the trip to Cambridge University Press where, if they avoid defeat, promotion will be assured.

Team: Pride, Kareche, Hunn, Huggins-Bowers (McKenna 64), Thurtle, Thompson, Sandford, Woodrow, Forbes, Taylor, Hough (Cockrill 77).