Greens disappoint but reserves run riot

Gorleston 1, FC Clacton 3GREENS' supporters have witnessed some stirring performances from their team over the season, but there was a feeling of great disappointment at Emerald Park at the end of this game on Saturday.

Gorleston 1, FC Clacton 3

GREENS' supporters have witnessed some stirring performances from their team over the season, but there was a feeling of great disappointment at Emerald Park at the end of this game on Saturday.

For some reason, the side did not click against their Essex visitors. Most fans would have expected the team to collect maximum points from their final three matches, all at home.

Had they achieved this, the

coveted third place and promotion would have been a distinct possibility, bearing in mind the results from other games involving their main promotion rivals.

The situation now is that with two of these games played the side have one point from six.

Most Read

Gorleston started quite promisingly with most of the action in the Clacton half, but on 23 minutes Dan Smith, wide on the right for the visitors, broke quickly and his centre found Paul Hiller, who headed past Tom Marsden to put Clacton ahead.

The remainder of the first half was even with few attempts on goal.

The second half continued in the same way, but after 62 minutes the Greens were given a lifeline when a Clacton defender handled in the box. Gary Ingram, on as a substitute in the second half, beat the keeper Craig Rulton to level the scores.

Just one minute later Clacton moved ahead again when a quick break saw their diminutive striker Sean Hillier fire home from close range.

Gorleston never really looked like getting back in the game after this and Clacton were stronger physically.

Youth team striker Harry Maddison came off the bench to join Gary

Todd and Ingram in a three-man

strike force, but the Clacton defence held firm.

Harry Maddison rose to send a header wide, but Clacton clinched the points when Sean Hillier saw his shot deflected in.

Gorleston (4-3-3): T Marsden, K Howell, E Thompson, A Thurtle, L Goreham, P Lambert, R Fruin, J Marsden, M Bowles, G Todd, J Bell. Subs: P Todd, R Butler, G Ingham, H Maddison, M Forbes.

Tomorrow Gorleston play their final league match at home to March, kick-off 3pm. Supporters' Player of the Year trophies will be presented before the game.

With promotion already confirmed Gorleston Reserves gained a well-earned point on Saturday in a

2-2 draw at Poringland Wanderers Reserves. On Tuesday night they thrashed visitors Holt United Reserves 10-4.

On Saturday, although the team were disappointed not to win, it was still a useful point on a hard pitch against a team placed fifth in the table. Poringland included several first team players.

Gorleston's squad were missing Harry Maddison and Mitch Forbes who were on first team duty.

Gorleston took an early lead when a fine through-ball from Ross Goodwin found Regan Harman, who coolly lobbed the Poringland keeper.

The Gorleston team included vastly experienced players in Carl Butler, Nathan Drake and Phil Wooldridge who set an excellent example to the younger players.

Poringland equalised after half-time and went ahead when Gorleston keeper Annis Nialli made a fine save but a Poringland forward followed in sharply to score.

Gorleston left-winger Louis Lacey crossed for Regan Harman to head his second goal of the match for the equaliser.

Tomorrow they travel to play Long Stratton Reserves ko 2.30pm.

Team at Poringland: A Nialli, Carl Butler, H Clements, N Drake, S Jones, R Goodwin, Scott Butler, B Gillies, L Lacey, R Harman, P Wooldridge. Subs: M McColgan, R Jacobs, P Wilson.

Gorleston Reserves 10, Holt Reserves 4

THE Greens moved back to the top of Dolphin Autos Anglian Combination Division Six. They have 68 points, one more than rivals for the title Hoveton Wherryman, and both teams have two matches remaining.

With regular keeper Nialli unavailable, Carl Butler was in goal. Gorleston fielded a strong side which included first team striker Nathan Thompson, who had been missing through injury.

Holt took a sixth-minute lead with a good break and sharp finish. Gorleston equalised after 16 minutes when Ricci Butler scored after beating several opponents and slotting the ball in.

Within two minutes Holt were ahead, scoring after a free-kick had been delivered into the area.

Gorleston levelled after 20 minutes when Regan Harman broke down the left wing and sent a perfect cross over for Nathan Thompson to sweep home despite the challenge of two defenders.

Regan had to be taken off after suffering an injury in a heavy tackle. Louis Lacey came on to replace him.

Ricci Butler and Louis Lacey scored to give the Greens a half-time lead of 4-2.

Three minutes into the second half, Phil Wooldridge increased Gorleston's lead. The goal flow continued with Holt scoring a third on 55 minutes and Scott Butler finding the net a minute later.

Ricci Butler scored two more goals, bringing his tally to four in the match. Scott Butler scored in the 81st and 86th minutes with a Holt goal in-between on 83 minutes.

In this astonishing match, Carl Butler played alongside his two sons Ricci and Scott. Scott has scored over 40 goals from midfield this season.

The reserves complete their season with two away fixtures at Long Stratton and Scole.