Greens extend unbeaten Thurlow Nunn run to 12 games

Christy Finch

Christy Finch - Credit: Archant

Gorleston 1 Mildenhall 1

Bradley Hough tries to break through. Photo: DAVE HARDY.

Bradley Hough tries to break through. Photo: DAVE HARDY. - Credit: Archant

This was an excellent game which could have gone either way but, in the end, a draw was probably a fair result.

Fifth-placed Gorleston were unchanged from the side that had won at CRC and they knew that victory would see them move above second-placed Mildenhall. However, the shared points saw the Greens remain fifth in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division whilst Mildenhall dropped a place.

This was the 60th game played on Emerald Park this season and the pitch was looking good considering the weather of recent months, writes DAVE HARDY.

After 20 minutes, the Greens again gave the ball away allowing Mildenhall to break down their right, with Jack Marsden caught out by the loss of possession. The cross came in and was met by the head of Allicion Blake, one of the smallest men on the pitch, and he guided the ball past Pride who got a hand to the ball but couldn’t keep it out.

The Greens had a period of pressure leading up to half time but found it difficult to break through a resolute Mildenhall defence.

Christy Finch began the second half with an 18-yard shot over the bar and this proved just a sighter. On 50 minutes Chris Sandford was fouled 23 yards out. Finch stepped up to curl the free kick around the wall and into the corner of the net, giving the keeper no chance, for his eighth goal in the last 10 games.

Most Read

Gorleston pushed on looking for the winner. Some good passing sent Finch into the box but his pull back was cut out then Sandford saw a low effort from 25 yards go just wide.

Jack Garrod replaced Williams and Ally McKenna came on for Bradley Hough and, on 75 minutes, the two substitutes combined, with Garrod cutting in from the right and sliding the ball through to McKenna, who drilled the ball on the turn, a foot over the bar.

Mildenhall responded with Carl Murkin shooting well wide whilst, at the other end, Hinton robbed full back David Cooper and drove into the box where he appeared to be unceremoniously barged to the ground, but referee Mr Pollard saw nothing wrong.

Andy Howell also had appeals for a penalty ignored as he and Sandford tangled with a defender but again the referee ignored the claims.

McKenna had another half-chance snuffed out by the keeper Josh Pope and then Pope stretched to push away a low Finch drive that was heading to the bottom corner.

In injury time Steve Holder broke through on the left and drilled a shot towards the far post but Pride got a fingertip to it to divert the ball inches wide. Holder fired over from the resulting corner.

Manager Stewart Larter was pleased with his side’s performance, especially the second half, and said he was disappointed not to take all three points.

Gorleston: Elliot Pride, Joe Marsden, Jack Marsden, David Hinton, Andy Howell, Josh Armes, Gary Williams (Jack Garrod 72), Chris Sandford, Bradley Hough (Ally McKenna 65), Christy Finch, Reece Hunn (Liam Harvey-Cooper 89)

Booking: Sandford 86

Goal: Finch 50

Mildenhall: Josh Pope, David Cooper, Darryl Coakley, Michael Harvey, Dan Hitching, Dave Werthmann, Paul Jones, Alex Steed (Kris Thomas 65), Allicion Blake (Steve Holder 85), Andrew Wood, Carl Murkin (Wayne Proctor 80)

Booking: Jones 49

Goal: Blake 20. Attendance: 151